There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

My experience was overall very good.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workers Discount, the opportunity to interact with customers, and the experience you gain dealing with the general public, employees and managers.

Cons

Low wages and limited room for growth and development.

Advice to Management

Promote employees who are strong in their duties, do not ignore their skills and abilities, because these employees who does their jobs very well for a small salary, it is because they love what they do.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Macy's

Current Employee - Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Counter Manager

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount, scheduling is sort of flexible, co-workers are great, paid weekly

Cons

Schedule is NOT as flexible as they make it out to be (No, you really can't create your own schedule). There are glitches in the schedule, so we still have to go through the Department Manager to schedule unavailable days, pto or vacation, instead of being able to do it ALL in the computer like we are supposed to be able to. Poor upper and middle management, lack of respect from management team, inconsistency about the company's rules, VERY, very pushy about credit cards, CEO is so out of touch with their thinking about how to handle and sell to customers at times,, especially with the credit cards. Not a ton of room for growth. Low pay for positions, no paid sick days. Standing for long periods of time on cement floors.....the list can go on...

Advice to Management

CEO is completely out of touch with some selling practices regarding customers. A word of advice, people do NOT like to be harassed about opening a credit card while shopping, they KNOW they will be asked about it once they get to the registers, so forcing employees to walk up to shoppers, while they are shopping is just going to drive the customers out of the store because you are annoying them. I always treat people the way I want to be treated. And I hate when every store I walk into wants me to open their credit card. I'll be honest, I never shopped at Macy's before I worked there, and if I left tomorrow, I would never shop their again just because associates are so pushy (they are expected to be pushy and aggressive). Also if you are sick, you get docked three times (unless you are able to swap your shift with someone, which isn't terribly easy if you are sick). Firstly, there are no paid sick days. Secondly, you are still responsible for your goal that day (if you are not able to switch), which in turn affects your scorecards. If you are sick with the flu, it feels like you are starting a new job again waiting for a paycheck. Also there are glitches in the schedule, so we still have to go through the Department Managers to schedule unavailable days, PTO or vacation, instead of being able to do it ALL in the computer like we are supposed to be able to. And no, you can not use PTO or Vacation days, if you happen to be sick for more then a couple days. Upper management in the store is not approachable and looks miserable all the time. When the manager of the store walks by you everyday and you say hi, and the best she can do is glare at you, there is a problem. Also store management does not look or act professional. I have seen the assistant store manager scream at associates on the floor, in front of customers. The HR manager in the store, really is usless as well. He doesn't do anything or know any of the rules. The only thing he is good at, is handing you a phone number to someone else who may know the answer to your question. All in all, it's a retail location. The pay is ok, but not great. I think the company has very high expectations for associates and doesn't necessarily compensate fairly to match those high expectations. Your experience with Macy's will partially depend on your management team. If you lack a good management team, like I do, the experience leaves nothing to be desired but the fact that it's a job. In retail, you can expect to work long hours during the holidays, that's just part of it. If you work in an area you like, it isn't that bad and you will make friends with others in your department. Macy's has some great people working for them and it's sad that they really never acknowledge those people.

Fun, fast-paced

Current Employee - On-Call Sales Associate in Kenner, LA
    Current Employee - On-Call Sales Associate in Kenner, LA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with hours, excellent employee discount, fun people to work with

Cons

The attendance credit system could be better, sometimes you have to stay later if others decide to not show up

Advice to Management

Perhaps let employees earn attendance credits for staying past their scheduled shift