Overall good experience

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually fun work environment, decent discounts, great retail sales experience, loved the diversity of the people, and the management team was usually always great.

Cons

Sometimes a monotone environment - never too exhilerating, a few co-workers were a pain, other than that - not much.

Advice to Management

Great job overall, however it would be nice if the team was corraled a bit more often so we felt a little more enthusiastic about our job, or sales expecations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Macy's Vancouver: Management an Absolute Joy to Work With!

Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a career B2B, Pharmaceutical & DME sales professional for over 30 years and have many managers. I was astounded by the quality and number of encouraging, positive and helpful department managers April, the Store Manager, has assembled. It was a joy working with them and they always had a great attitude and just the right words to say at the most difficult times.

Cons

I was “promoted” to Fine Jewelry. The manager was fantastic. 1) There was no base pay increase for a massive increase in responsibility and liability and the only additional benefit was a tiny 1% commission on jewelry sold and not returned. 2) Fine Jewelry is a “Locked” department, which means you can’t pick up any other shifts or make changes to your assigned schedule. 3) As a part-time person you are not allowed to take vacation time 4) Since you are often working alone in Fine Jewelry and someone needs to be in the “pen” at all times, you need to request a manager to stand in the “pen” for potty breaks, any break including lunch etc. Many times the managers were too busy to do so.

Advice to Management

1) Base Salary increase of 5-10% for “promotions” to Fine Jewelry 2) Allow people in Fine Jewelry to pick up other shifts. The monotony of being caged up in the Fine Jewelry “pen” and never allowed out is difficult and restrictive. 3) April, Thank you for selecting such excellent department managers! Keep up the good work! 4) Boring, medium quality merchandise. Very boring.

2. It was good until the end

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Base pay is $8.00/hr. -Make some great friends because of shared misery. -Awesome discount (20% on everything) and can use coupons and reward money from opening credit cards (called Macy Money)

Cons

-Management has no clue what they are doing at this store. The only reason this store does so well fiscally is because of the clientele and the area in which it is located. If it weren't for the rich-folk this place would have been condemned by now. -Typical atmosphere of Managers thinking they are almighty and know everything on the planet, not giving associates the time of day or being outright rude to them on a daily basis. -Constant pushing of opening credit cards, you are told to push even hard when customers get defiant. -Managers don't seem to do anything at all most of the time. They are constantly caught sitting down chit-chatting about the mundane detail of their lives or badmouthing their associates.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of your employees. We are treated as if we are cattle being herded and moved from field to field. Employees do not feel like they are a part of something bigger than themselves, we feel that we are expendable to you and that you will find cheaper labor somewhere else. Which does not produce a conducive working environment.