Eye opening

Former Employee - Gift Registry Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
Former Employee - Gift Registry Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product knowledge of the largest Macys home store in the west coast, my coworker, some of whom had been working 10+ years, one for 30 years. The events hosted there were fun as well.

Cons

Full time employment got turned into permanent part time in order to stop giving employees health benefits. Quotas introduced for registry consultants that did not reflect the unique return issues with unwanted registry items (sets of dishes not being completed returned so that couples could buy furniture, etc which hit our numbers). Management not being ready for working in such a large store when transferred. Mysite being unacceptable for the job it was trying to perform.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall good experience

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually fun work environment, decent discounts, great retail sales experience, loved the diversity of the people, and the management team was usually always great.

Cons

Sometimes a monotone environment - never too exhilerating, a few co-workers were a pain, other than that - not much.

Advice to Management

Great job overall, however it would be nice if the team was corraled a bit more often so we felt a little more enthusiastic about our job, or sales expecations.

2. Macy's Vancouver: Management an Absolute Joy to Work With!

Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a career B2B, Pharmaceutical & DME sales professional for over 30 years and have many managers. I was astounded by the quality and number of encouraging, positive and helpful department managers April, the Store Manager, has assembled. It was a joy working with them and they always had a great attitude and just the right words to say at the most difficult times.

Cons

I was “promoted” to Fine Jewelry. The manager was fantastic. 1) There was no base pay increase for a massive increase in responsibility and liability and the only additional benefit was a tiny 1% commission on jewelry sold and not returned. 2) Fine Jewelry is a “Locked” department, which means you can’t pick up any other shifts or make changes to your assigned schedule. 3) As a part-time person you are not allowed to take vacation time 4) Since you are often working alone in Fine Jewelry and someone needs to be in the “pen” at all times, you need to request a manager to stand in the “pen” for potty breaks, any break including lunch etc. Many times the managers were too busy to do so.

Advice to Management

1) Base Salary increase of 5-10% for “promotions” to Fine Jewelry 2) Allow people in Fine Jewelry to pick up other shifts. The monotony of being caged up in the Fine Jewelry “pen” and never allowed out is difficult and restrictive. 3) April, Thank you for selecting such excellent department managers! Keep up the good work! 4) Boring, medium quality merchandise. Very boring.