Good

Current Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY
Current Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up

Cons

None so far - less than a year on the job

reviews filtered by

Why all the clutter!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

I enjoy the fact that we get the opportunity to meet so many people around the world and they all know Macys. The fact that you can add or post shifts enables more control over your life.

Cons

Management looks at the associates like a number not a asset
    The rate of pay for the amount of work and cost of living doesn't add up. Luckily I had experience or I would have been making minimum wage.
    More money needs to be placed in employee development and store improvements.

Advice to Management

Management needs to not only focus on company initiatives but also coach and develop their team this will increase loyalty, pride in the department and company and a lower turn over rate.
    Appearance is everything the managers need to put more efforts into their appearance and ensure associates are dressing appropriate.

2. magic at macy's really depends on dept manager

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Macy's has a good reputation in the community and you see a lot of repeat clientele. The discount and wages are competitive with other retailers. the scheduling system is fair and it's fairly easy to switch your schedule around if something comes up. They do a lot of advertising to bring people into the store.

Cons

Management skill level varies greatly. They do not do coupons or discounts in cosmetics which is hurting the business in this department. There is sometimes more importance given to opening charge accounts then to meeting sales goals. The holiday store hours are getting longer, staying open 24hrs for the last three days before Christmas. The all black dress code also gets old after awhile.

Advice to Management

Be open to listening to your employee concerns, we cant make magic if we don't feel like our ideas are being heard. Opening loyalty should not be so high pressure,customer service should be the most important goal. Staff more people on non sale days so that there is time for product knowledge training and recovery.