Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Professional Customer Service

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great incentive to make money, fabulous discounts on designer merchandise, senior staff are great motivators, diverse group of employees, creative people sharing ideas and knowledge of merchandise, and a great opportunity to grow with the company. There are affordable medical benefits, 401K plans, dental, and insurances. Getting recognized for a good dob done well.

Cons

Not all employees do their fair share of work leaving others to pick up the brunt of cleaning and straightening of merchandise. Long hours of standing and bending throughout the work day. Commission plus hourly salary is calculated against a formula based on your pay per hour and FT or PT status. Very hard daily goals to obtain but they are attainable if your motivated to give expert customer service. Employees who are not as dedicated as yourself leave a bad impression on the consumer making it difficult for others who are there to earn a living.

More reviews are needed on employees and the input and complaints of fellow workers should be considered during the review process. More education from vendors is greatly needed about their products new and old. Keep up the great work and keep us motivated, the morning meetings and rallies really do help.

5276 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Good for a part-time summer job, but would not want full time

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Everett, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount (20%) on items is nice and they're good about working with your schedule if you're part-time. I had another job at the time, so they delivered on their promise of only scheduling me for 19 hours each week and only 4 days a week. I liked working in the quiet departments -- women's dresses, men's collections (i.e., the expensive stuff), home furnishings -- because the shoppers were usually more polite.

Cons

Most of the sales associates were full-time and, when it would come up in conversation that I was only part-time/summer, they seemed a bit dismissive. I got the vibe from some of them that it was because I wasn't treating the job like a career -- just a summer job until I went back to college.

When working in a department one day, the other two sales associates were talking about their schedules/lunch breaks. One asked me if I was working an 8-hour shift and, when I said I only had a 4-hour shift that day, she asked in an irritated voice, "Well, can you stay for 8 hours?" Since she had no control over my schedule (and I could only work a certain number of hours), it seemed presumptuous of her to assume that she could just ask me to stay because of her and the other associate's schedules. Later, I heard her complaining to another associate, "Well, *she* [me] is leaving at three" -- as if I couldn't hear her.

Macy's also doesn't assign you to a department when you're new -- you float from department to department where they need coverage. This seems like somewhat of a backward strategy, since you don't have a chance to get comfortable with everything before you get moved to another department. The sale days are also crazy and really tough if you're brand-new.

I worked the kids' department summer sale on my third day and it was insane with all the discounts to plug in and multiple codes to scan for every item. I got a nice comment card from a customer, but I still shudder just thinking about it.

Give employees who haven't done retail basic tips like, "Regularly check fitting rooms for clothes that need to be rehung." I'd never worked retail (which they knew based on my résumé), but they never went over procedures like that. I also didn't know that the women's dress department sales associate unlocks the front doors of the store in the morning, since no one ever told me. They finally told me when we opened for business -- someone came running over and said I had to unlock the doors. Basically, there's a lack of communication -- at least in this store -- if you're not a full-time employee on the inside track.

Holiday Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

some of the people i worked with were great, managers not overbearing, discounts when you buy food if your macy's is in a mall. never a dull day

Cons

lots of time of your feet. always a ton to do, they push credit cards too hard, for the amount of work you do, starting pay isn't very great. scheduling can be a pain if youre a temp worker

none