There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Outstanding dedication to service and a good work environment.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Macy's values working as a team and communicating which makes for less stress and competitive behaviors.

Cons

Managers being responsible for too many departments and non department specific tasks stretches them too thin and makes them less effective at running their own teams and being involved where it counts.

Advice to Management

Keep the managers in their departments and have general managers for other operations. I feel like my team didn't get enough feedback, involvement, or time with our manager for her to be effective in motivating, coaching, or understanding us.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. They have very low pay rates,difficult to get hours,work very hard

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with customers. Macy's puts customers first so it is easy to assist customers. Able to make many decisions with out having to go through Manager.

Cons

You have to work there on an on call (flex team status) for quite some time before part time and then full time opportunities become available. Flex team status makes it difficult to obtain hours. Once full time for most people this means 32 hour avg. weeks not 40 therefore low pay rate is even more burdensome. Competition is good but there are always a couple of people who do only sales and only a little of the other work which needs to be done. These people create a bad work environment for others. Huge difference in department team members when those people are not there

Advice to Management

I don't think Management fully understands how adverse and under productive conditions are created by the people who grab all the sales and do little work . It seems that those people are tolerated because their sales numbers are strong. However, I have witnessed the negative effects this has on all other team members which I believe cause them to be less effective. It also reflects very poorly on Management. Employees either feel that Management is not aware of the problem and if are aware, condone and reward this behavior.Resulting in all other associates to feel that they are not valued or supported. Also times are tough and these positions require little training however the pay rates are so low and people work very hard. Compensation should be improved. Providing few hours through flex team and low pay make this a difficult firm to work for

2. Dysfunctional

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company, Great benefits, wonderful people at all levels.

Cons

In the division that I worked, my managers were very non communicative and extremely demanding of unknown goals.

Advice to Management

Get into the modern age. Macy's is a forward thinking company and this division needs to start thinking that way as well. Hire more women, people of color and people who live in the real world of management.