There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

best days behind us

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

lots of opps for learning about business and marketing, some great people. A lot of great processes but you have to dig to find them. You either were here for 20 years or are in and out in under 5.

Cons

Lost a lot with the restructuring, a lot of unhappy people and lack of synergy

Focus on the talent not the org chart that bain recycled to you

4934 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Getting hired and what to expect in the Loss Prevention department.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Most managers are very flexable to give time off if advance notice is given. Most will bend over backwards to rearrange schedules if unexpected issues arise in an agents life. It is a fairly relaxed workplace and ample time is given for breaks and lunch.

Cons

Macy's loves to change policies. In the last year alone, a single policy has changed no less than 4 times. Its is difficult to keep up with all of the changes especially when nobody informs us of the changes. The pay for loss prevention is lower than most department stores. With any retail establishment, the shifts are always changing and are usually midday and are enough to consume most of a day.

Since Macy's has bought out the Kaufmann's chain the stock has plummeted and everything is being micromanaged. I believe the store was being run alot better before as Kaufmann's. Maybe management should take a look at how things were being run before.

Macy's a great place to work depending on your job.

Current Employee - Regional Merchandise Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Merchandise Manager

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Work life balance is very good. Also Macy's is excellent for giving back to the community through multiple outlets. Macy's does have many career paths available both at the corporate and store level. The managers and associates working for Macy's are on the whole very dedicated, responsible and creative people. Reviews are given consistently and their formats remain consistent. Pay scales are inline with industry averages. The people at Macy's are by and large a very friendly, inclusive group. Helping one another is common and cut throat politics are not evident at up to mid level managers. No information on senior levels.

Cons

Senior management can be very abrupt and unrealistic when setting goals and handing out assignments. They also have a tend to focus on recent negatives and not on long term positives. Very much of a what have you done for me lately attitude. Staffing in stores is at all time lows and Senior management appears to not want to accept the fact that this has negatively impacted service and sales. Macy's has also become very top heavy. Our ratio of management levels employees compared to rank at file is out of line. Helath care costs continue to rise every year.

First of all cut back on management level jobs. Jobs in the buying, planning, financial, operational and human resource divisions have been consistently growing. Staffing levels in the stores have been consistently shrinking. We have way too many bosses in corporate telling way too few managers and associates at store levels how to perform their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's