There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Oviedo, FL
Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Oviedo, FL

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very likable co-workers. Managers were relatively easy going and tried to make getting loyalties/credit accounts more than just badgering the customer. The many sales that were going on made it easy for me to shop for what I wanted, haha.

Cons

You start out at minimum wage no matter what. This wasn't really a problem for me since I still live at home but others who live on their own and have school to pay for probably have to find another job. Customers can be extremely rude when they don't get what they want but hey, that's retail.

Your employees will be more likely to stay with the company if the compensation was higher than minimum wage for new recruits, thus wasting less money on training.

4902 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Do it for the opportunities they said...

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company with senior management opportunities and they do seem to promote from within, most of the time. There are enough good people here to make up for the ones that aren’t pulling their weight. From what I understand, they are better to work for, in the long term, than other retailers.

Cons

The starting pay is not competitive and the yearly raises are insulting (about the rate of inflation if you do well). The only way to make a living here is to get promoted, at least twice. Having a college degree doesn't seem to help you move up here, actually not sure what does except time in position.

Look to your high performing, educated people before you lose them to more competitive companies becasue they can't afford to live on their pay.

Quite an experience.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Built life long friendships with co managers who have long departed the company and found better opportunities for themselves and recruited others.

Cons

Work life balance was not attainable. Long days and impossible to complete sale set ups, markdowns and merchandise placement and presentation expectations were not realistic.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's