Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Good start so far

Current Employee - Retail Support Associate in Livingston, NJ
Current Employee - Retail Support Associate in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supportive team and staff, respectful and always there to help you with anything

Cons

None so far. Everything seems to be good as I just started last week.

5730 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

6+ years full time women's shoe sales

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good commission paycheck during the "good times" (xmas, and spring). Opportunity to change departments if positions are available and at my store they do interview in store for management opportunities for the right people. Benefits and 401k are available. After time, earned paid time off that is easy to get--simply log on at home or at work, pick the days you want PTO, and it is done. You don't even have to ask or write a note, your time off is accepted in the system, barring special sales days but there is enough open time to choose from. 20 percent discount for employees.

Cons

Low and unpredictable paycheck due to commission pay during the off season period in my region. The company expects you to open so many credit accounts but they pay you for accounts with coupons! (though the occasional 3 bucks does come up as a reward). This does not pay my bills and does not make the stress worth it to open them. If I am going to get hounded to open credit accounts, pay me real money not "Macys Money" (in store employee exclusive coupons) and I'll put much more effort into it. Managers here largely do not work. They pace around and ask employees if they have opened a credit account (called a "loyalty") every half hour. They generally do not help out, and do not understand what is going on on the floor, though there are exceptions. For example, one manager we called the escalator manager because that's all that person did, is ride the escalators all day, it seemed. Person did not contribute, much like a lot of Macys managers. But again, there are some good ones.

Stop talking and start doing. Lead by example, not by word of mouth and catch phrases as you pass by.

not a lifelong job

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

employee discount, learn cultural value

Cons

stand over 8 hours a day, high pressure for sales goal

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's