Macy's

www.macysinc.com

Unprepared for real retail work

Holiday Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThey seem to hire just about everyone over the holiday season.

Offer permanent positions to seasonal employees who perform well.

Pay was slightly above minimum wage.

You can pick your own schedule, assuming there's time slots available (and employees who have worked there longer get first pick).

Ladies in the Intimate Apparel department are very nice and helpful towards new employees.

ConsExtremely irate customers on a regular basis.

Training only covered how to make customers buy more merchandise, didn't cover even 1/4 of the cash register functions, how to put a hold on an item in another store, and a lot of other customer service and procedure situations.

No specific department focus, and you can be asked to cover someone in a different department, which makes it REALLY difficult when customers come in asking for advice in, say, the outerwear section, when you're used to working in the socks/hats/bags section. Then the customers get really angry that you're not an expert on every single product in the store, even when it's your first day on the job.

Sometimes there are no shifts available.

Absurdly long holiday hours (store was open for two days straight in 2012, meaning people had to be there from 12 am to 8 am by themselves, when presumably almost no one was shopping).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore practical training (or job shadowing), less focus on "how can we coerce customers into buying things they don't want".

Nice place to work overall

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Lots of career opportunities for advancement Cons: Tough work life balance the higher you get Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Useful Training

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros: I learned quite a lot about customer service and sales techniques from Macy's. These will no-doubt aid me in future positions. The… Cons: My time there was merely as a temp. I didn't get the "full experience," if you will. My branch's management was… Advice to Senior Management: Have more hands on deck more often for those holiday… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!