There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Unprepared for real retail work

Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Holiday Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They seem to hire just about everyone over the holiday season.

Offer permanent positions to seasonal employees who perform well.

Pay was slightly above minimum wage.

You can pick your own schedule, assuming there's time slots available (and employees who have worked there longer get first pick).

Ladies in the Intimate Apparel department are very nice and helpful towards new employees.

Cons

Extremely irate customers on a regular basis.

Training only covered how to make customers buy more merchandise, didn't cover even 1/4 of the cash register functions, how to put a hold on an item in another store, and a lot of other customer service and procedure situations.

No specific department focus, and you can be asked to cover someone in a different department, which makes it REALLY difficult when customers come in asking for advice in, say, the outerwear section, when you're used to working in the socks/hats/bags section. Then the customers get really angry that you're not an expert on every single product in the store, even when it's your first day on the job.

Sometimes there are no shifts available.

Absurdly long holiday hours (store was open for two days straight in 2012, meaning people had to be there from 12 am to 8 am by themselves, when presumably almost no one was shopping).

More practical training (or job shadowing), less focus on "how can we coerce customers into buying things they don't want".

4965 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Useful Training

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned quite a lot about customer service and sales techniques from Macy's. These will no-doubt aid me in future positions. The atmosphere at Macy's is also always very light and friendly, though professional. Definitely a comfortable (socially, at the very least) place to work.

Cons

My time there was merely as a temp. I didn't get the "full experience," if you will.
    My branch's management was also a little bit disorganized, but not in any particularly awful way. Considering it was the holiday season, it's probably normal.

Have more hands on deck more often for those holiday seasons. Management seemed short-handed, though floor-workers did not.

Not bad for being my first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet great people; personal recognition in-store at early morning meetings; great company rapport; managers tell you weekly how you're doing sales-wise; sales goals can be easily attained for the most part.

Cons

On certain sales days, goals were ridiculously high and there was always a surplus of associates on the floor, making it difficult. Always on your back for credit cards but won't be a big deal if you meet your weekly goal 90% of the time.

Better training techniques for new hires, especially if inexperienced.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's