There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

As a first job, it was helpful in learning customer service and management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned great customer service skills and met some wonderful people that I'm still friends with today. The associate discount was a huge benefit of working there because I got such great deals on clothes, shoes, and accessories.

It was a decent job to have as my first job because it was flexible with my school schedule. It also didn't require too much out of me while concentrating on school.

Cons

Not having a consistent schedule always bothered me because I wouldn't know my schedule until a week or two before. Sometimes they would get my hours wrong and it would coincide with when I had classes so I would always have to go to my manager to fix it. And working during the holiday season is the worst because the customers are more likely to be irritable and take it out on the sales associates. The hours during the holiday season is longer and later... I remember working till 2am on some nights.

The work environment was usually chaotic and not very organized all the time. And I didn't like how the on-call sales associates would always ring up for their sales goal rather than the full-time and part-time sales associates first.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall Good

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive experience in all loss prevention job functions.

Cons

Not enough opportunities for promotion.

Management needs to focus on having LPM receive certifications.

On Call Sales Associate

Former Employee - On Call Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - On Call Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You could get 20% off employee discount for most of products. You can learn about products and hustling.

Cons

Don't work Macy's as an on call sales associate. You can't make on your schedule at all.
    Also the union will not protect you.
    If you are looking for to work for Macy's, you must work as a full time position.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's