There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Thanks for the Summer gig, but I'm moving on."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers at Macy's are wonderful. You meet some dedicated individuals. Tacoma's Macy's Tacoma has gone out of its way to employ young men and women. Some are in high school and some in college. I worked with a 24 year old who even paid off her student loans by working diligently and picking up many additional hours. I do however think that there is more bonding over the fact that management isn't the best and that the job isn't the most ideal. But hey, any coworker bonding is better than no coworker bonding, right?

While I couldn't wait for my summer at Macy's to end, I do have to say that it was a learning experience. You got to deal with some terrible customers and some wonderful ones. I enjoyed it and am appreciative that they hired me with little retail experience. Macy's did have flexible scheduling, which allowed me to work around 2 internships. You could pick up shifts easily with their online scheduling program. Other stores like the Gap can't even guarantee a set minimum amount of hours. Yeah the one day sales were hell, but it was a chance to clock in 7+ hours in one day. You can't always find that at other retail stores.

Cons

Wages! Wages are such a downside. I worked with individuals who have dedicated their professional lives to Macys, 13 -15 years. And those people are only paid $15/hour. In Washington State, where the minimum wage is 9.19, that's just wrong.

Oh... and the Union. What the heck! During the whole application and training process, not once did they go into details of the union, initiation fees, and monthly fees. For being paid minimum wage and having to set aside $30/month to be "protected" by the union is ridiculous. Inform your future employees properly. They have a right to know from the company firsthand, instead of finding out when the Union is knocking at your door, demanding $130.

If team-work is so important, stop making it so clearly obvious that you're only pushing your employees to reach sales and loyalty goals just so you can get that annual bonus.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall Customer Service vs Sales Volume

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity, sales staff reflects local community. There is a sense of pride in the Brand Macy's. Advertising reaches the public and drives foot traffic. Stores are attractive and clean.

Cons

In-store human resources somewhat clueless when you have questions. Managers more interested in self advancement than teamwork. Competition for sales outweighs the importance of putting the customer's needs first. Scheduling is confusing at best and does not allow work/life balance.

Better lines of communication with human resources within local store (without fear of retribution.) Employees are likely to unionize to achieve better consideration of work/life balance.

2. Good but competitive and stressful.

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Commission on opening cards as well as thanks for sharing every winter.
    Paid time off
    Make your own schedules online

Cons

competitive sales goals
    stress of not completeing sales of opening of credits follows you home.

please dont pick favorites, it becomes very obvious

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's