Macy's
2.9 of 5 4,181 reviews
www.macysinc.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

Thanks for the Summer gig, but I'm moving on."

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Tacoma, WA

ProsThe coworkers at Macy's are wonderful. You meet some dedicated individuals. Tacoma's Macy's Tacoma has gone out of its way to employ young men and women. Some are in high school and some in college. I worked with a 24 year old who even paid off her student loans by working diligently and picking up many additional hours. I do however think that there is more bonding over the fact that management isn't the best and that the job isn't the most ideal. But hey, any coworker bonding is better than no coworker bonding, right?

While I couldn't wait for my summer at Macy's to end, I do have to say that it was a learning experience. You got to deal with some terrible customers and some wonderful ones. I enjoyed it and am appreciative that they hired me with little retail experience. Macy's did have flexible scheduling, which allowed me to work around 2 internships. You could pick up shifts easily with their online scheduling program. Other stores like the Gap can't even guarantee a set minimum amount of hours. Yeah the one day sales were hell, but it was a chance to clock in 7+ hours in one day. You can't always find that at other retail stores.

ConsWages! Wages are such a downside. I worked with individuals who have dedicated their professional lives to Macys, 13 -15 years. And those people are only paid $15/hour. In Washington State, where the minimum wage is 9.19, that's just wrong.

Oh... and the Union. What the heck! During the whole application and training process, not once did they go into details of the union, initiation fees, and monthly fees. For being paid minimum wage and having to set aside $30/month to be "protected" by the union is ridiculous. Inform your future employees properly. They have a right to know from the company firsthand, instead of finding out when the Union is knocking at your door, demanding $130.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf team-work is so important, stop making it so clearly obvious that you're only pushing your employees to reach sales and loyalty goals just so you can get that annual bonus.

Overall Customer Service vs Sales Volume

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Diversity, sales staff reflects local community. There is a sense of pride in the… Cons: In-store human resources somewhat clueless when you have questions. Managers more interested in self advancement than teamwork. Competition for sales… Advice to Senior Management: Better lines of communication with human resources within local store (without fear of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's

Pros: the commission was pretty good Cons: the managers were pretty intimidating Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.