Macy's

www.macysinc.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Your coworkers can either make your day glide by or make it insufferable.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I get to pick my own shifts and hours. As part-time, I get assigned two shifts per week (about 10 hours), and it's up to me to pick up the rest of the hours I may need to get the paycheck I want. I set my availability, so I don't get assigned to work when I really am unavailable.

Cons

You have to go in and set your availability as soon as you're hired. If you don't, you run the risk of getting assigned to shifts that you may not be able to work. Granted, you can always "advertise" your shift (meaning another associate can take it), but you may not be able to find the hours to make up for the shift that you had to give away. Even if you can work the hours you're assigned, they only schedule you for a certain number of hours, and you're responsible for picking up any additional hours you need, which may not be available. Full-time associates get first pick (on Friday), then part-time associates get sloppy seconds (on Saturday).

Make sure your new hires walk away on their first day (training) with a schedule for the next two weeks! Also, make sure you take your new associates' availability and restrictions. It would be helpful to physically sit down with new associates to manually set their initial schedule, then walk them through the process of setting their own availability and schedules!

5736 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

amazing

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

flexible schedule,really good benefits,

Cons

hard to get a full time job

Macy's Response

Sep 25, 2013VP Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the 5 star rating!!

Good place to work part time

Former Employee - Marning Stock in North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Marning Stock in North Olmsted, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, set hours, no politics, easy to communicate with upper management

Cons

No set structure for requesting time off - at least not where I was working. I remember more than once leaving a post-it on my manager's desk in order to inform him that I wouldn't be in next week. I also had to announce my leaving the job in a similar way.

Create structure. Also, as a more general thing: Make employees stay near registers - having to hunt one down is the biggest drawback of the Macy's experience

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's