There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Some good days, some very frustrating days

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your supervisor, decent work life balance. Discount so-so but with coupons pretty good. Promotes from within, many different avenues to chose from.

Cons

Everything must be "expense neutral". Lay mans terms...we are going to give you a ton more work to do with less help/hours to do it. A few big bosses are downright rude and condescending.

Get a grip....there are other smart people that work for Macy's, you aren't the only one. I'm not your secretary, you stick to driving service and I'll stick to driving sales.

4902 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Part-time Sales Associate/SSA

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, you basically get to choose when you work during the week. Moving up is not difficult at all within the company as long as you show you work hard. I only worked here for a year when they offered me a position as SSA and if I wanted to eventually, a manager position. Manager's give associates honor where honor is due. Like I said, show them that you can work hard and it pays off.

Cons

Sometimes hours are slim pickings as a part-time associate, especially so if you're on-call flex. Full time associates get first pick and whatever is left is up for grabs among the 200 or so people working in that store. Another con is the constant pressure to make sales goals or credit goals, as doing so every week will determine whether or not you get a raise when that time comes around.

Don't award raises based only on how much associates can sell, or how many credits they can open. Keep in mind their job performance on the sales floor, not just what they can do from behind the register.

Love to shop there, love to work there

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, inclusive environment, excellent benefits, employee discount on top of sales and coupons, great opportunities to grow. Macy's truly believes in Customers First and provides a lot of tools to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

Cons

It's retail, the hours at a giant like Macy's can be long and hard.

Focus on what's important, don't get off-track with all the extra events and charity work.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's