There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Nightmare of a job. Highly dissatisfied

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts from both macys & Bloomingdales

Cons

Terrible leadership. HR not helpful and never around when you need them. People got promoted based on how friendly they are with their supervisors and not based on how good they are on the job. I was initially very excited to work for the company, but the hostile environment caused me much anguish so I quit without having a job lined up. I have a great job now and would never return to macys.

Advice to Management

Provide real training to managers. They need to lead and gain the respect of their fellow employees. Video training is not a great method of training as managers leave the video on but are not paying attention and just doing something else. Managers have to let go of their egos and admit when they are wrong, having had a supervisor accuse me of everything was January nightmare. It is a sign when macys.com was their first job out of college and they grow with the company because of natural progression. They have no knowledge of how to be a great leader. Having so many Employees leave macys.com is not normal, only the terrible supervisors stay for years.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It's never enough

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Macys, as a culture, is a great American Icon. I was proud of it's history and it's work with charities. I loved working with the customers and developing my team. The sales team are a great group of people and have so much talent to offer.

Cons

It doesn't matter how amazing you were on a particular day or event, there was always something more that you missed.
    As managers, we are taught "engagement" but very little of it comes from senior management.
    The stress to hit numbers is incredibly high without the compensation to back it up.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. You teach your managers to celebrate the employees, but managers are not celebrated. You emphasize teamwork, but give no opportunity for sales managers to get together with others from the district to talk about best practices. There is too much filter from the district team through the VPSM to the managers. DMs should be more present in every store, not just the high volume stores.

2. not so bad

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

good discounts
    schedule whenever available

Cons

all of schedule availability aren't all on website where you make schedule better off calling in