The "future" Macy's ...go into it with no illusions

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The technology is terrific, gives them a real advantage vs. competitors. The product mix is a 4 on a scale of 1-5 for their target customer. Marketing powerful. Pretty much strong points operational or content related.

Cons

Macys has been very smart at exploiting the current economic climate. Low wages, no real investment in training other than online "POS" training. Claim they are "driven by customer service" but really only 4 out of 10 customers really are assisted in their shopping experience but Macy's communicates as though it is paramount to them. Credit is a major priority which I get but standing at the POS is pretty much an assuredly of success in the Macy's scorecard. Some smart people decided a while ago that if you pay associates next to nothing, reward them for credit (involves getting mostly Macy's money which must be spent on Macy's merchandise and can only be counted toward 1/2 the purchase) and virtually disengage from any associate coaching or development the high turnover rate can be rationalized.

Advice to Management

Start valuing experience and selling expertise and challenge associates to engage customers beyond the 4 feet of space by the POS. Encourage "excellence" rather than just "phoning in" your performance. No one ever gets fired because there are no constant expectations. Macy's would never pay unemployment because it's all about ROI, return on investment not people. New recruits are academically qualified by without a nurturing attitude toward incoming recruits they leave after 1 or 2 years and the organization never benefits from growth and learning. But the company would say they are have an excellent growth strategy and ofcourse EXCELLENT customer service.

reviews filtered by
  1. A miserable first job, especially as a seasonal employee.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount I suppose and connecting and joking with coworkers.

Cons

Pay, hours, lack of direction, being expected to know and do everything despite the isolated computer training.

The irate customers were the worst, complaining about: the ads (and how the sale and available of items was advertised "today" but the sale started yesterday, items not being in stock, and lack of a way to carry items around in a basket or cart.

One day I was tasked with keeping the associate area clean and organized. I tried, but when customers flooded the floor, dozens of merchandise was left/held near the cash registers. Items were either on hold (orders), left so a customer could browse some more, or just left in the area to be put back on the shelve, but we were often questioning which items were to be returned back to the sales floor. Coupled with me running around helping customers and retrieving items from the back, it was hard to keep the register area organized. It was a hazard and nothing anyone did helped ease this.

I do not understand why customers using coupons was *such* a huge issue.

Manager also would ask me multiple times if I could "do him a favor" which either meant patrolling an area or opening a register in an area unfamiliar to me. Basically, left to fend for myself. I had to rely on seasoned coworkers most of the time.

My Schedule Plus did not give me the hours according to my preferred times for shifts and one day a 6 hour shift was listed as 1.5 hours. What a crock.

From day one of training to my second day, there were a lot of problems, including paperwork and clocking issues, which I would not have known had I not gone into HR to inquire about a clocking receipt. So pay was delayed.

Two other things bothered me: 1) when a customer picked up a fryer pan and the glass lid shattered, housekeeping came to clean up the mess, but I picked up the remaining glass shards because I did not want to compromise customer safety and 2) the second day I came in, the store was a mess, merchandise was unboxed and any Styrofoam packaging was left in the corner.

I also did not force customers to open up a Rewards Card.

"Congratulations, you just encountered your first scam artist." Apparently two customers (a family) were scam artists, all because the 42-set of circular plates were out of stock and one associate (who always seemed grumpy and *did not* want to be there) gave it to the customer for $29.99 and then the customer I helped pulled the same nonsense so he told me to just give it to her for the same price, this "one" time.

This place is a mess.

Advice to Management

Manage and communicate to everyone better. We are people first and foremost. Do not assume we learned everything in "training" because there is only so much you can learn and retain with computer videos and modules. Be around, be helpful, be a leader.

For such a successful company with lengthy tenure, the pay for associates does not reflect it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ambiance and the excitement.

Cons

The pay on an Associate level/certain departments have draw vs. commission compensation which is very hard.