There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

In this school yard, the bullies rule.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They seek out and hire great people. The culture is laid back and fun. The work is exciting and you get to see the results of your work online on the website. Their central location in the city, San Francisco, offers lots of diversions with easy access from BART.

Cons

There is a lot of potential at macys.com, what gets in the way are the people who feel that the only way to get projects done is to bully everyone into promising completely unrealistic expectations.There is a group of people who should lead but instead like to push their weight around and hold your reputation at bay if you cannot deliver on what they've already promised, however unrealistic. I saw it happen to many a good worker, over and over. My coworkers hesitated taking on projects because of the people they would be exposed to. There is no room to fail and learn because you will pay for any little thing. Unless of course, you can blame it on someone else.

HR hires some really good people, look at why they all leave. In the time that I was there, we lost some really good key people because of politics. If you really want to be a "tech place to work at" weed out the bad management and pay your tech people more, let them learn from their mistakes instead of allowing your management to just give them the cold shoulder until they leave.

4902 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Store Management Intern

Former Employee - Store Management Intern
    Former Employee - Store Management Intern

I worked at Macy's as an intern

Pros

Learned a lot of valuable leadership experience. Huge amount of responsibility assisting in management your own department from day 1.

Cons

It was a good summer internship but decided not to take the full time offer due to how overworked I saw some of the managers. Many working 60+ hour weeks with no overtime especially during the holidays. Decided I wanted something with more normal work hours and not so much pressure from upper management. Also at the store level there isn't much room for advancement unless you are willing to re-locate.

Seasonal Associate Experience

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Open on Holidays
    Friendly staff and coworkers
    Easy intake/orientation
    Work environment warm

Cons

Not enough help from HR
    Confusing