Macy's

www.macysinc.com

There is a better way to make magic happen!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros*I love the macy's customers and my fellow employees.
*The store discount is a nice benefit.
*You are able to pick up extra shifts, trade, or give away shifts.

Cons*It would be nice to be educated about upcoming sales and promotions through in-site.
*Before hiring new employees, please ask existing employees if they would like to increase their weekly work hours.
*I was told to ask every customer to open a new macy's charge account, and not to give up until they say no three times. I find this morally reprehensible. The interest rates are extremely high, and each time you apply for a credit card it affects your credit rating. The 20% discount that new applicants receive on purchases for the first two days is limited to $100, but customers are encouraged to buy, buy, buy!
*You are led to believe that you can earn a nice hourly wage with the commission program set in place. Whenever you do make a little extra, you are given hours during slow periods (when there are no store-wide sales going on), or the sales floor is flooded with sales staff that are left to compete and fight over customers and sales. You go into deficit when you cannot cover your draw, and that has to be paid off before you can earn commission again. It is very disheartening to start a shift and see that you are already minus 60% of your sales goal because of returns (which typically happens after every big sale).
*We are constantly being given more work, but there is never enough time to finish it all.
*Managers approach sales people on the floor, in front of customers and other employees, to discuss their scorecard, and remind us to sell more, and push new credit applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out commissions, and pay a fair hourly wage to your employees. This would give us the ability to give all customers the "magic" experience they truly deserve.

Training and advice should be conducted in a private area.

First job

Jewlery Sales Associate (Former Employee) Middletown, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros: Great co workers, good part time job Cons: management, pay, scheduling, large turn over rate No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

My experience as a Macy's employee was useful to me as a learning experience in retail and sales involving commission

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hialeah, FL

I worked at Macy's as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Knowing what specials are going to take place prior to them… Cons: The percent that is added to your base pay (as a Commissions Sales Associate) is very low. If it were… Advice to Senior Management: A way in which upper management at Macy's could improve is by instructing the Full and Part time employees to not… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!