There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

There is a better way to make magic happen!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

*I love the macy's customers and my fellow employees.
*The store discount is a nice benefit.
*You are able to pick up extra shifts, trade, or give away shifts.

Cons

*It would be nice to be educated about upcoming sales and promotions through in-site.
*Before hiring new employees, please ask existing employees if they would like to increase their weekly work hours.
*I was told to ask every customer to open a new macy's charge account, and not to give up until they say no three times. I find this morally reprehensible. The interest rates are extremely high, and each time you apply for a credit card it affects your credit rating. The 20% discount that new applicants receive on purchases for the first two days is limited to $100, but customers are encouraged to buy, buy, buy!
*You are led to believe that you can earn a nice hourly wage with the commission program set in place. Whenever you do make a little extra, you are given hours during slow periods (when there are no store-wide sales going on), or the sales floor is flooded with sales staff that are left to compete and fight over customers and sales. You go into deficit when you cannot cover your draw, and that has to be paid off before you can earn commission again. It is very disheartening to start a shift and see that you are already minus 60% of your sales goal because of returns (which typically happens after every big sale).
*We are constantly being given more work, but there is never enough time to finish it all.
*Managers approach sales people on the floor, in front of customers and other employees, to discuss their scorecard, and remind us to sell more, and push new credit applications.

Cut out commissions, and pay a fair hourly wage to your employees. This would give us the ability to give all customers the "magic" experience they truly deserve.

Training and advice should be conducted in a private area.

4636 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

First job

Former Employee - Jewlery Sales Associate  in  Middletown, NY
    Former Employee - Jewlery Sales Associate in Middletown, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers, good part time job

Cons

management, pay, scheduling, large turn over rate

Don't Do It

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

I honestly can't think of one good thing about this company

Cons

If there was a true Evil Empire then Macy's is it! Working at this place the one of the most soul sucking experiences I've ever had.

To top it all off you get paid in peanuts, so even though you're drained by the constant drilling by management to "make a connection" with the customers, up-sell every single item and ask them to open Macy's account if they can't afford to "buy more" at the time, at the end of the week you barely have enough to take the Metro to do it all again.

I only lasted 5 months there. The amount of stress that management puts you through could be likened to a high powered wall street broker but for minimum wage.

When once I told my manager that I showed a customer a least expensive option because she was trying to save money, he looked at me with a straight face and told me "by offering someone a least expensive option you are insulting them". Wha???

*Stop with the doublespeak and attempted brainwashing of your employees
    *Stop with the fake contest prizes for "selling more" that never appear
    *Just stop

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!