Sales manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MO
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn all about greed!!!

Cons

Corporate policies. Employees leave when they want with no consequences. Impossible to manage a business like that. Always told to focus on customers they are the number one priority, but staffing is reduced to less than one employee per department. The company is constantly making poor decisions. HR is always out to get the management staff, they believe the hourly employees over the executives every time. Horrible place to work if you are in management great if you want a part time job where you don't have to do anything.

Advice to Management

Talk to the managers who actually work in the stores before you come up with store policies. They have no idea how a store actually runs, everything they come for a visit we work tons of extra hours to make it look perfect. But in reality there is no way we can make it look that way with out going over budget.

reviews filtered by
  1. I need a new job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Flexible work schedules
    *"Macy Money" (is the best part of the job)
    *made some good friends
    *god place for a "1st job"
    *they will hire anybody

Cons

They claim that there is an open door policy with management and coming to them with complaints, but there really isn't. You complain to them but nothing gets done about it (whatever your issue is). Lack of appreciation, lack of recognition, low pay no advancement/chances to move up I've been "FWT" for the past yr and half. shouldn't have to beg for a promotion). Its like a black hole, idk how people have worked here for 15-20+ yrs and are still just associates, not even specialists, etc.

Advice to Management

Thank you goes a long way. So does appreciation.

2. conflicted feelings, wish the store manager would just let me make magic without being on on my back all the time!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union store, general wage increases annually because of that!! 20 paid days off, 8 sick days for people with 10 years or more. double time on holidays, again UNION store. Decent medical plans, and dental plans.

Cons

Store Management not on the same page!!! Treat everyone the same , stop the favoritism.

Advice to Management

The return policy needs to have some restrictions, we are taking back merchandise from 2011?? We are taking back merchandise from other retailers?? Really?? Pitting sales associates against each other to make a sales goal?? The customers can feel the tension and the pressure that you put on us and it is difficult to hide!!! How about Common Sense Sales? Treat the customer the way you would like to be treated, and not interrogate them with open ended questions that they do not want to answer.