Fired for Xmas

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. I have nothing positive to say about Macy's. Nothing.

Cons

Macys is about the numbers. They fired me for excessive absences. My mother had dementia and passed away in June. Macy's doesn't care and fired me based upon the number of absences. I was working on call and my schedule was somewhat flexible. Then I was switched to part time and the management began scheduling my work time on line and without my knowledge. The online scheduling system MySchedulePlus is down most of the time. That system simply cannot handle high user volume. I wasn't working there every day, so it was difficult to figure how what days and times management would schedule me to work. I had to call out a lot because my mother had dementia and I needed to visit her in the hospital. I called Macy's HR and explained the call out was due to my mother's illness. Coincidentally, the day that my mother died was the final absence that Macy's used against me to fire me. Macy's made it clear to me that on the day my mother died, Macy's doesn't care about it, only about their bottom line.

Advice to Management

Have some compassion for employees

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

May as well work at McDonald's

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, that's it

Cons

-You get "Macy's money" for soliciting credit cards that you can only apply to 50% of your purchase, making you spend money in their store to use the "incentive" (In comparison, at Kohl's you made at least one dollar per application solicited. One real dollar, which can be used to pay real bills.) -You don't get paper checks and their "Skylight" card charges fees for even checking your balance (Kohl's gave any pay option you preferred.) -You can't use the employee discount unless you use a "Macy's Card" (Kohl's gave you a code to use your discount, no card required) -They call you to come in early and if you don't give them an IMMEDIATE answer they call someone else -They expect your life to revolve around the needs of Macy's, with no consideration for school or other jobs -Seasonal employees are not eligible to make commission and no one makes commission if you don't meet your ridiculously high sales goal (mine have been $800-$1000 and I've only worked a few three hour shifts so far) (No commission or sales goals at Kohl's) -The training is tedious and useless - they put you on the floor and expect you to just do everything - I'm afraid of Black Friday because I have no experience with this particular store when it's busy -The scheduling system is awful, do-it-yourself, and allows you to choose shifts in ANY AREA; I had a shift in a department I knew nothing about and was told not to worry because it would be slow - it also caters to full-time and non-seasonal employees, which is understandable, but not when I'm only getting 9 hours a week (If they just had a manager make the schedule, they probably wouldn't have so many call-outs and need shifts covered every day) -They don't care what the store looks like at closing - the lights literally shut off 30 minutes after the store closes, making employees and managers perfectly content with leaving the floor unshoppable -Managers do not check the fitting rooms, floor, anything at all, so you get no feedback if you're making a mistake, nor do they give you any acknowledgement or praise when you're doing something right -My direct managers do not even know my name, and I've worked there for three weeks -The computer system is very old and difficult to use -Their merchandise is overpriced -Their discount policy makes things more difficult for the customer and the employee (advertised discount with fine print saying it's only available certain hours of the day, inability to use any coupons together, excluded merchandise such as "Everyday Values" that the customer does not know about or understand until at the register) -Everything about this company goes against what the founder stood for Bottom line: unless you are a housewife with a Macy's card that wants a discount on the merchandise you're already purchasing, this job will only frustrate you increasingly until you decide to quit.

Advice to Management

Revamp your entire system.

Bittersweet feeling

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are sweet , you meet a lot of new people from areas around the world, the benefits are great, they reward you when you reach goals. I started at 7.40 and 6 mths later got a raise to 9.00

Cons

Your co- workers who have been there for 10+ years try to control you and if you correct them when they do something wrong they will ask if you own Macy's and try to give you a lecture of how they have been there for 10+ yrs. so basically their excuse to break the rules. These same coworkers don't respect the new younger managers and choose what to do on their own.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to discipline the co-workers. You have no reason to be disrespected because you gave each and everyone respect. Therefore you should get it in return