Hard work but great learning opportunity

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager  in  Daly City, CA
Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Best place to learn about retail with exposure to a variety of products and vendors. The work gets "too hands-on" sometimes, but it really is what it takes to learn so next time you will know how to manage through the process/big picture.

Cons

Pay can be a little bit more competitive considering the level of stress (especially during holidays) and the frequent over-8-hour days, monthly performance-based bonus would be really nice.

Enhance training program for new employees, both associate and management (beyond technical training and sales standard, budget hours for formal shadowing/training-on-floor) so they can be more productive when they actually start.

Other Reviews for Macy's

$8.55/hr. You can do better.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

20% discount, increases to 30% during holiday season

Cons

no communication from management to employees. must learn on the job and from (often newly-hired) co-workers. paltry salary.

have some respect for scheduling consistent hours, and try to communicate better than "hello" every 3 shifts

Very low pay. Dirty, cluttered employee areas. Bad dept managers.

Current Employee - Macy's In Downtown Seattle - Bad Place to Work  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Macy's In Downtown Seattle - Bad Place to Work in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Close to home - walkable and on bus line.
    Very friendly sales associates.

Cons

Getting hours is nearly impossible. I was offered 21 hours a week in a specific dept, then when I reported in to do paperwork I was told that the job went away and that I would be considered a floater--which was fine, but I was only scheduled an average of 10 hours a week.

When I reported for work and was given an assigned dept for the day, there would be way too many workers already covering the areas, so I had to go find some other dept to work in.

Management just walks around. The only interaction I had with my manager was to get my name badge. Another time a manager inserted herself into a situation that was being held effectively between a customer and sales associate and her doing so made the outcome of the situation an embarrassment.

Hire managers who have people skills and who know how to display professional decorum.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!