Macy's

www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

combination of unions + macy's poor employee treatment will provide a very unpleasant place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

great customer interactions, commission, meeting new people.

Cons

-Treat you like a thief at all times
-Upon exiting, security will steal your property from you, and refuses to accept electronic receipt or proof of bank purchasing(illegal) even though its the promoted form of proof of payment via macy's.
-poor training
-most managers hold their noses up to lower level employees as if they are a lesser form of a human being
-Unions jump on macy's stores to siphon the paychecks of the low wage workers. union provides very little benefit to the majority of the employees, while literally robbing employees of their earnings even though our city and state bylaws already protect us of everything unions allege to be useful for. Unions also force you to join, or they fire you. No option to opt out(illegal) and they steal fees from seasonal employees whom are further exempt from any union benefits(also illegal)

this is advice for the company management, not dept managers.

learn how to fight off these disgusting thieves in disguise called "unions".

offer employees the protections and security a union may allegedly otherwise provide.

negotiate with your employees instead of allowing unions to rob the company and its employees

accept all proof of payments that your company serves, and stop treating all your employees like thieves, it's belittling. and its also illegal to steal the property that was transferred to an employees legal possession upon payment of the item, it does not matter if policy requires paper receipt, the law is the law, and stealing from employees and refusing proof of payment you offer at checkout constitutes as theft.

5531 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Worst job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The friends I made while working there.

Cons

They profess to have a work life balance, but there is none. Pay does NOT equal the job they expect you to do. You are a glorified sales person with absolutely no responsibilities what so ever. The word "Manager" should not even be in the job title, as you actually don't manage anything other than getting a headache everyday from listening to the store manager talk about how many credit cards we need to open for the day! Take my advice...Stay AWAY from this company.

Practice what you preach and research before you start preaching.

There is no magic at Macy's

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice discount and good coworkers

Cons

Macy's will offer you a position part-time of Monday-Friday 6 am to 10 am and occasional Saturdays. To me, that means 20-24 hours a week. You are hired, possibly leaving another job for Macy's, to find out that they categorized you as a "flex" employee meaning you can go weeks without any scheduled hours. This happened to me and many of the people in my orientation class. Many people quit within the first few weeks because of this issue; they feel lied to and abused by Macy's. You may get 4 or 8 hours a week if you're lucky, then they want you to be on call to work 30 hours the next week. Schedules are supposed to be set by Friday morning, but they will add and drop hours with no warning.

Orientation was scheduled for approximately 15 employees who drove in from all over the city of Atlanta and when we arrived were told that they person leading the orientation was sick and we all had to come back another day. Orientation was supposed to be a paid training, but they sent us home without pay and made us come back on a different day. Many of us work other jobs and were out pay we could have made at that job as well as gas money driving to Macy's. This could have easily been avoided by having a different person lead the orientation. Surely there is more than one person qualified to do so? Or better yet, paid us for the two hours we should have received to at least compensate us for the loss of time and gas money.

I was scheduled to come in on a Wednesday at 6 am and just happened to be online at midnight (just six hours prior) to check my direct deposit and realized they had dropped by shift. No warning. It wouldn't be the first time someone came to work as scheduled and then told there was no work for them and sent home, penniless and out gas money. They also like to add you to the schedule last minute and not ask if you can come in, and when you don't show up, you're docked an attendance point. They are supposed to give that point back to you when you don't show up because of an unknown change to schedule, but good luck with that. We are also docked attendance points if we're more than 9 minutes late (I've never been late), but our managers (MTMs) are often 30-60 minutes DAILY with zero accountability because there is no senior management around when the stores open. EVER.

I cannot speak to other Macy's location, but I can say that my store is poorly run. Managers at this location spend more time cackling, gossiping, and talking on personal phones than actually managing. They blame support staff (merchandisers, fulfillment, etc) for the shortcomings of their sections and fail to take personal responsibility for their shortcomings as a manager. There is an overall distrust and dislike between sales and support staff where it feels like it's an us versus them mentality. Additionally, sales staff are repeatedly given rewards and bonuses for making goals and doing their job (given candy, gift cards, Macy's money, etc) while support is constantly hounded, degraded, and mistreated. I'm sure we'd all like to be rewarded for doing our jobs too.

You can ask three managers the same question and get three different answers. Each manager is out to cover their own tails and will tell you what they need for their own job security.

I feel misled by Macy's. I left a job with more guaranteed hours (thanks to them classifying me as "flex") thinking there was a greater opportunity for advancement due to the sheer size of Macy's. I couldn't have been more wrong. The pay is ridiculous. I know cashier's at fast food restaurants and grocery stores who make more money. Macy's was listed as one of the Top Ten WORST employers for pay in the country. Stay away!!! I wish I had never come to Macy's!

Set reasonable expectations, reward deserving employees and stop lying to people

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's