There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

The Worst Place I Ever Worked!!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook Mall Branch, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discounts and sales were good, but still not worth it

Cons

As a college graduate, and successful business person for over 30 years in various levels of management, I can say without a doubt, Macy's is the most poorly run companies I have ever been around. Most of the management is outright disrespectful to most who work there. I started in what I thought would be fun, as a seasonal employee and kept on for another 3 years, part time.Mind you, I never was asked to stay, but simply kept being put on the schedule.I am a very hard worker, but nothing was good enough.Standing at a cash register literally non-stop for a sold 3 hours was exhausting, but the worst part was when there was a slight break, a manager would come out of no where and "order" the sales people around. It was so disrespectful, and never a team effort whereby management would help.The store manager was errogant, unapproachable, and never smiled.Theory was to not give in to the customer, unless they were insistant. In addition, the store is filthy-floors consistantly dirty, and rugs rarely vacuumed.In the Marshall Field days, porters would come in nightly and buff and polish the floors. I only stayed on because I truly enjoyed working with the customers.

Use some respect and teamwork-doing so will get you employees that will bend over backwards to do the job at 150%

4667 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

It's a job, not a career

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

co-workers, sales (employee discount).. something else positive that will help me meet the word requirement...

Cons

retail hours, schedule, ability to request time off
    lack of appreciation towards employees (start team specifically)

be more proactive when asking your employees for advice in what needs improving. Hint: When there's a common theme it means something needs to be changed.

Positive experience. Big company, but feels small.

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Systems are very old and out of date. Very slow career movement; but, company does appear to be focused on changing the career planning process.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!