There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Macy's is a horrible place to work !

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Torrance, CA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my opinion there aren't any pros unless you like rarely working.

Cons

Wells at Macy's you schedule your own hours if you are part time. if you are full time they automatically get 40 hours. if you are part time it is so hard to get hours since you have to get them yourself on the my schedule plus site. you'll be lucky if you 12 hours a week ! They pressure you to be aggressive to the customers which can run the customers off. They also give you super high sales goal and blame you if you don't reach it as if you can force customers to spend money on things they don't want. It's too competitive. Its also very hard to get a raise of get moved to a higher position. They usually just hire a new person if a higher position opens instead of just moving a employee they already have up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I had no idea I would be considered such an unimportant member of the Macy's team.

Former Employee - Floor Support/Recovery Associate (Temporary/Seasonal) in Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a 20% discount on merchandise, and occasionally the management might bring in free snacks.

Cons

I had no idea that I would not be ringing on the register at all, even though I received the training for it. I put clothes on hangers, folded clothes, ran racks, etc. It was very boring, menial, sometimes fatiguing work. Not to mention, they didn't even bother considering my availability--they gave me shifts whenever they wanted, even at times when I was in school. They even put me in an apron, because aprons supposedly repel customers that need help. Surprise! They don't. When I told my manager I just finished helping out a customer, she said "aw," as though it was so cute that I did something that was not in my job description or expected of me. Her condescending tone sealed how I wasn't taken seriously this this workplace at all.

Advice to Management

Please make it clear to your employees in the interview the distinction between sales associate and floor support/recovery associate.

2. Long hours and low pay

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Leawood, KS

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount; gratis products from vendor

Cons

Low pay; bad hours; store and regional management show little respect for the front-line employees who deal with customers one-on-one.

Advice to Management

Show respect and regard for the employees who work long, hard hours for your benefit.