There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Unethical behavior allowed at Macy's Furniture in Arlington, Virginia by 20+ year employees.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made good money in Furniture Department. Enjoyed the job and customers.

Cons

People in department deleted my orders and bullied me the whole 1 1/2 years I worked there, and management did nothing to the employees to make them stop. I was told to leave if I didn't like it, so I did.

Make sure your store management staff does not show favoritism, they need to follow the "code of ethics" you have established. You loose honest people when they should not have to quit a job due to bulling and threats, it is against the law. It deeply affects other good employees.

4965 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Not what I was hoping for.

Current Employee - Pricing Associate in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Pricing Associate in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Surprisingly pleasant co-workers. The lower level managers just above me were friendly and easy-going. I worked only very early mornings before the store opened. I worked mostly on my own, the lights weren't blaring, there was music playing, it was a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere to work in.

Cons

The pay was just above minimum wage, not even $8/hr. The hours were way too low and unpredictable. Sometimes it was 0 hours a week, sometimes 4 hours a week, sometimes it was 12. During my interview I was told I would be a 'merchandiser' and help put clothes out on the floor and do displays, etc. But when I started, they put me on pricing, which I had no interest in whatsoever. And then they told me I had to stay doing that for awhile but gave me no indication as to how long. The training was practically non-existent and very confusing - I was told different ways of doing things by two different managers and also by a couple co-workers, which lead to me making some simple mistakes that would have never happened if some time had been taken to actually train me. There was no handbook available and no place on the company site that I could even go and look up the pricing rules and basics and how to use the computerized pricing gun. And no one would let me take the time to write any of it down. So if I forgot something or didn't know how to do something, I had to take the time to go and find someone who could help me and then hope it was the right answer and hope I could remember all of it. This happened way too much the first handful of weeks, it was ridiculously frustrating and a waste of time for all.
    Also, we had to come into work when it was still dark out, and the lights in the mall parking lot and the parking garage and near our entrance door were off. I had to walk alone past the outdoor loading docks and stairs in the pitch dark each time I went in. As a woman I felt particularly unsafe and would run from my car to the door. Hated how scary that was. The door we were to go in was always unlocked too while the early morning employees were coming in. There was never any manager or employees waiting inside the door, they were always gathered quite far away in an office on the first floor. Seemed like it would have been easy for a non-employee, like a thief or anyone who wanted to wreak some havoc, to slip through the door and get inside during the half hour that the door was unlocked.

I found those in upper management at my location to be rude, curt, fake, unhelpful, and generally unpleasant to be around. They seemed to favor my young cute coworkers - chatted and laughed with them and praised them often. I'm 40 and look good and have a lot of energy for my age, but I felt like an outsider when that was going on. I noticed the upper management didn't speak much to my coworkers who were my age or older either. One 50ish year old was openly made fun of for how slow she was. Overall, I disliked the attitude of upper management very much.

Don't be there if you want to make money

Current Employee - Shoe Salesman in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Shoe Salesman in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount is about the only reason to work there. Use coupons and Macy money to get things very cheap.

Cons

Low pay. $8 an hour is hardly enough to live on. Give you shifts where you won't make money on their 7% so all you get is base pay and then end up owing them when you do finally sale. Take money back after a return.

Pay your employees instead of management. Employees deal with the customers but management makes all the money

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's