There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Minimum wage is not enough.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, really no reason to ever have to call out. Nice incentives for Rewards recruiting, such as Macys money. In my personal experience, I encountered a number of friendly people and wonderful co-workers. Also, there are a few really good managers.

Cons

The store I worked for was grossly understaffed. You have to jump through too many hoops for the employee discount, including having to sign up for Macy's credit card. In my personal experience, I encountered a few people in managerial positions who seemed to be unhappy with their lot in life and took it out on their employees. On two occasions, I had to explain to one of my managers that while- as an employee- I would preform whatever tasks he asked of me, I would not tolerate being spoken to in a disrespectful manner. He responded, "Go tell someone who cares." Completely childish. The higher-ups are no better. When I complained to someone I thought would care, I was told that I was only allowed to complain if I hadn't done anything wrong. Being as I was fairly new to working retail, I was bound to make mistakes and according to the store manager, I was therefore deserving of the degradation my supervisor desired to dish out. That non-sensible notion in mind, I put in my two weeks notice and sought employment that did not support that same lack of professionalism.

Bare in mind that giving respect often leads to getting it. It is possible to remain an authoritative figure and give out tasks without degrading your employees. If you insists on treating your staff as sub-human, you should definitely increase their salaries. As it stands, you do not pay enough to tolerate such mistreatment.

reviews filtered by
  1. seasonal employment at macy's

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

easy and quick hiring process

Cons

too many employees to get any shifts

2. Macy's

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for when you are a recent high school or college graduate. The hours are flexible and wages are decent.

Cons

There is no way to move up in the company from within. If you want a promotion you have to reapply outside and be re-interviewed. I would not suggest working here as a career job.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's