Macy's

www.macysinc.com

Minimum wage is not enough.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsFlexible scheduling, really no reason to ever have to call out. Nice incentives for Rewards recruiting, such as Macys money. In my personal experience, I encountered a number of friendly people and wonderful co-workers. Also, there are a few really good managers.

ConsThe store I worked for was grossly understaffed. You have to jump through too many hoops for the employee discount, including having to sign up for Macy's credit card. In my personal experience, I encountered a few people in managerial positions who seemed to be unhappy with their lot in life and took it out on their employees. On two occasions, I had to explain to one of my managers that while- as an employee- I would preform whatever tasks he asked of me, I would not tolerate being spoken to in a disrespectful manner. He responded, "Go tell someone who cares." Completely childish. The higher-ups are no better. When I complained to someone I thought would care, I was told that I was only allowed to complain if I hadn't done anything wrong. Being as I was fairly new to working retail, I was bound to make mistakes and according to the store manager, I was therefore deserving of the degradation my supervisor desired to dish out. That non-sensible notion in mind, I put in my two weeks notice and sought employment that did not support that same lack of professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementBare in mind that giving respect often leads to getting it. It is possible to remain an authoritative figure and give out tasks without degrading your employees. If you insists on treating your staff as sub-human, you should definitely increase their salaries. As it stands, you do not pay enough to tolerate such mistreatment.

Old school techniques

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Low Stress, Good Hours, Helping happy customers, decent pay, Make… Cons: Management (all around), Sales Pressure, Unrealistic Sales Goals, Forced to PUSH Macys card applications, forced… Advice to Senior Management: Stop telling sales associates to be forceful and annoying on the sales floor, EVERY customer I have talked about… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Won't give you hours, but still expect you to pay big bucks to join their union

Support Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros: Get to pick some of your own hours, employee discount, get to work… Cons: Low pay, work on holidays, computer system lets you pick up your own hours but there was rarely anything available. After the holiday season I… Advice to Senior Management: Communicate better with employees. Is not fair to expect someone… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!