There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Great coworkers, bad managers.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

I loved my coworkers, I loved my customers.

Cons

The managers are awful. One insisted on screaming at a new hire in front of customers and coworkers, that she wasn't wearing "enough" eye makeup. Another time, a customer had verbally abused a coworker of mine to the point of tears because my coworker insisted on following mandated company policy that the customer didn't like, and management sided with the customer and admonished my well-meaning coworker for doing her job.

Advice to Management

There is literally no reason to encourage your management to abuse employees.

reviews filtered by
  1. CS A (Holiday floor manager)

Former Employee - CSA in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - CSA in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

applied for cashier position and was hired as Superviser

Cons

Didn't know a thing about what I was suppose to be doing, absolutely no training for that position. I did get some cash register training.

Advice to Management

You should really have a better training program for that position

The management can definitely be improved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scheduling flexibility. Being able to create your own schedule and pick up hours online. The training process was also great. Everything was well explained on the training videos such as the POS training.

Cons

Managers are rarely to never visible to the employees. There are no set expectations with the regular employees except for reaching a sales goal (which is not that accurate because some can just stay in the register the whole shift and easily achieve it) and opening a macy's card. Therefore, the employees doesnt have a set level of accountability and pretty much do whatever they wish to do.

Advice to Management

Working in a different retail company for more the 7 years as a supervisor has made compare what this company do differently than my previous job. The training was great and the scheduling flexibility is more than awesome. One thing I can suggest is to maybe change the structure of the management. As I said awhile ago, there are too many managers but they are rarely on the salesfloor to atleast follow up and set up expectations to the hourly associates. I would like to suggest to cut down the numbers of the managers and have some supervisors who can help develop regular employees, run the departments and set up expectations to the employees. This might be good not only for the stores, but also for the entire company because it can increase productivity and can lower the management cost , since supervisors get paid less than the managers. Working here for a few weeks, I have noticed that the regular employees comes to work and basically do whatever they want since there are no other expectations besides reaching a goal and opening a macy's card. The sales floor was very disorganized because there are no level of accountability to the regular employees coz no one follows up on them and tell them what to do or achieve in a regular basis. I believe that having someone to actually supervise them and work with them and be able to coach them regarding their performance can definitely increase productivity for the store and for the whole company. I have noticed some associate who loafs a lot and have been rude to the customers but the managers were not there to notice it to take the appropriate actions. This makes me think, how do the managers finds out which are the good employees and the bad ones? How do they determine who can excel and have the potential to grow in the company? To promote perhaps? I think that this company is great company but there are still a lot of room for improvement.