Decent temporary job.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible schedule I worked at Macy's seasonally, and it was a decent temporary job. The discount for Christmas shopping was also great, but I spent more money than I made. I nannied during this time and I made a lot more per hour nannying.

Cons

My first day was Black Friday, and although I had gone through training, which is done on a computer in the back room, I was thrown on a register with no one else around. For the most part it was fine, but I didn't have help when I needed it.

Other Employee Reviews for Macy's

1. Macy's

Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule was easy to set up

Cons

The customers can be rude and cruel, the managers can be rude and cruel, and shopping there is sometimes expected if they catch you at the makeup area they will ask if you are going to buy anything like its an obligation to put money back into the store. Employees steal customers like crazy too its an art form

Advice to Management

Get new managers who know what they are doing

Sales manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of vacation and comp time. Sales managers bond with each other due to the amount of stress put on them to perform in a dysfunctional work environment

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Sales managers treated poorly in general. No room for advancement. Customers always unhappy because sales people are never available due to cut backs that happen regularly. Sales managers are over paid cleaning people and under paid nannies. Sales associates are mean to management and customers.

Advice to Management

Senior management should be on the floor assisting management team. Senior Management should try to understand the impact of cut backs and how it effects the sales manager team. Senior management should support their managers not berate them.