Macy's

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Decent temporary job.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, flexible schedule

I worked at Macy's seasonally, and it was a decent temporary job. The discount for Christmas shopping was also great, but I spent more money than I made. I nannied during this time and I made a lot more per hour nannying.

Cons

My first day was Black Friday, and although I had gone through training, which is done on a computer in the back room, I was thrown on a register with no one else around. For the most part it was fine, but I didn't have help when I needed it.

5117 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

The management can definitely be improved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The scheduling flexibility. Being able to create your own schedule and pick up hours online. The training process was also great. Everything was well explained on the training videos such as the POS training.

Cons

Managers are rarely to never visible to the employees. There are no set expectations with the regular employees except for reaching a sales goal (which is not that accurate because some can just stay in the register the whole shift and easily achieve it) and opening a macy's card. Therefore, the employees doesnt have a set level of accountability and pretty much do whatever they wish to do.

Working in a different retail company for more the 7 years as a supervisor has made compare what this company do differently than my previous job. The training was great and the scheduling flexibility is more than awesome. One thing I can suggest is to maybe change the structure of the management. As I said awhile ago, there are too many managers but they are rarely on the salesfloor to atleast follow up and set up expectations to the hourly associates. I would like to suggest to cut down the numbers of the managers and have some supervisors who can help develop regular employees, run the departments and set up expectations to the employees. This might be good not only for the stores, but also for the entire company because it can increase productivity and can lower the management cost , since supervisors get paid less than the managers. Working here for a few weeks, I have noticed that the regular employees comes to work and basically do whatever they want since there are no other expectations besides reaching a goal and opening a macy's card. The sales floor was very disorganized because there are no level of accountability to the regular employees coz no one follows up on them and tell them what to do or achieve in a regular basis. I believe that having someone to actually supervise them and work with them and be able to coach them regarding their performance can definitely increase productivity for the store and for the whole company. I have noticed some associate who loafs a lot and have been rude to the customers but the managers were not there to notice it to take the appropriate actions. This makes me think, how do the managers finds out which are the good employees and the bad ones? How do they determine who can excel and have the potential to grow in the company? To promote perhaps? I think that this company is great company but there are still a lot of room for improvement.

Great place to work and shop

Current Employee - Ladies Shoes Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Ladies Shoes Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Macy's as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

respectful management, friendly staff. flexible hours. This store is like a family.

Cons

you have to want to stay with this company. it is commitment

This is a wonderful store!

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's