There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Lacks Training

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the online scheduling system. It's perfect for when you can't work a shift and don't want to go through the hassle of calling other employees. It's also great if your availability opens up and you want to pick up an extra shift.

Cons

Training, training, training. I have worked in retail before and this is some of the worst training ever. You do the required training on the computer and then you're free to work on the floor. That's it. You're never paired with another employee and you kind of learn really important information as issues arise. My first night there I was in a department alone and had two registers two close.

reviews filtered by
  1. sell sell sell!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Cosmetics in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Cosmetics in Capitola, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are constantly trying to meet both individual sales goals and collective sales goals, which cultivates both competition and collaboration, and you end up learning many new sales strategies from your co-workers.

Cons

The competition can also be a con, as some people are happy to take credit for your commissions or turn their back when you need help. There is also always pressure to hit quotas - sales volume, number of credit cards opened, number of promotional items moved - and fiercely unhappy upper management to deal with when you are not successful.

You should encourage cosmetics girls to help with check out when lines get really busy at other registers. I know a lot of customers voiced frustration that we always looked stuck up and unwilling to help after the fact, but it was something that we didn't even really think about at the time.

Decent temporary job.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, flexible schedule

I worked at Macy's seasonally, and it was a decent temporary job. The discount for Christmas shopping was also great, but I spent more money than I made. I nannied during this time and I made a lot more per hour nannying.

Cons

My first day was Black Friday, and although I had gone through training, which is done on a computer in the back room, I was thrown on a register with no one else around. For the most part it was fine, but I didn't have help when I needed it.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's