There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Terrible place to work at

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Towson, MD
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Towson, MD

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Myfellow coworkers were fun to work with, for the most part Job was simple, and easy to understand Hours were plentiful because of the winter season

Cons

The management was terrible and nasty Not much room to grow Lots of gossip going around for a department store

Advice to Management

Be nicer to employees Lose the "holier than thou" attitude You set rules, you should follow them Stop being rude to the customer

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Most heart blackening experience ever!

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis from working with Dior counter and double discount days. Meeting new people and learning new things from Dior. My Dior experience was wonderful but Macy's is a joke.

Cons

Sales manager had no clue about anything except how to bullie us. She made a counter manager cry everyday last summer during our slow months here in florida. I was a counter manager but had no one to manage. I ran the counter by myself and was told in my interview I would have a part timer which after I started I was told I would have to sell 3k a week to get a part timer. They are always changing your goals once you meet or beat them and even if you sell 200% or more to your goal and are an "extreme seller" like I was you will still be harassed and talked down to unless you open 2 or more credits a week. Most women in that dept are sneaky and sharky. Dishonest and two faced people are what you are surrounded by all day. Let's take a minute to talk about the prepaid Macy's account they offer. They did not account for my double discount in December properly and are now saying I owe almost 300! How does that happen with a prepaid account?!!! They are scam artist. Macy's money another scam.... open a credit or win a magic story prize and get $3 off a $6 purchase... so now you gotta spend that money in their store... but wait what's that? Oh just the Macy's money showing up as a form of income on my check that I am now being taxed on... after paying sales tax on the purchase I made with it. Top it all off with the fact that the charities they work with are all the top worst ones in the country as far as what % of the donation actually goes to the said cause. Macy's takes at least 60% if most of the money collected from these promotions. What a joke. Sell your soul to the devil and maybe you will succeed in this company.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and rebuild your company with some damn ethics!

Unappreciative

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule , shopping, senior management is really nice

Cons

Hardly ever see manager, Can hardly ever get in contact with you, some managers act like your shadow, they're quick to snap, they don't tell you about rules & many company policies so when you break a rule that you don't know you're breaking you still are at fault. Communication is horrible. They act like you're trying to steal or treat you as if you're doing something fraudulent when you aren't. They don't appreciate you at all and if you do a thousand things right ( you don't get any praise ) but when you do one thing wrong they are all down your throat.

Advice to Management

Get better managers, who communicate with the associates, sometimes show appreciation,