Macy's

www.macysinc.com

Okay Job With Okay Pay

Pros

Very flexible. As a part time associate the hours are great. Don't have to stay after store hours like other retail stores

Cons

Minimum wage. Management was horrible. They showed favoritism to older employees didn't pay attention to newer employees. Expected you to know everything about the store with very little training.

Other reviews for Macy's

Do not take an on call (pt5) position u won't maKe any money

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Macys money,break times,sales experience,marketing experience

Cons

Too much responsibility on sooooo little money gtfoh!

Management is always stressed out because of their management pushing quotas that aren't possible to make especially in a small store in the hood! They also don't wanna help You transfer and they have attitudes when you ask for help with a customer.

Making MAGIC, But Grossly Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

I appreciate the little incentives and rewards for doing your job well. Macy's is all about making MAGIC! Make the customer feel better when they leave than when they came in. Management empowers associates to make customer service decisions such as returning pretty much ANYTHING, honoring coupons or discounts for anything the customer asks for, and just saying "yes" whenever possible. If you go a thousand miles out of your way to help a customer, you *might* get a special recognition. It feels pretty good when you know you've helped someone out and the customer is truly appreciative.

Best thing about working at Macy's is you get paid every Friday. Swapping, picking up, or getting rid of shifts is pretty easy through their online employee page. There are not often shifts available to pick up, but it's an easy process if you can find them.

Cons

Seriously, SERIOUSLY underpaid. If Macy's values it's employees the way they SAY they do, they would honor them with a liveable wage. Macy's is WAY below industry standard for comparable businesses (Dillard's, Nordstrom, etc) in what they pay employees. I have worked for Macy's (and stores that later became Macy's) off and on for 20 years. I made more 20 years ago working for Robinson's-May (an affiliate which later became Macy's) at $10/hr in 1994, than I do now. In 2013, I was hired at $8.75 and after 8 months and an out-of-state transfer I now make $9.35. I'm single, over 40, and have no children. It is not enough, even "full-time" to pay for even a small one bedroom apartment. Full-time, by the way, is considered 28 hours - IF you can get it. You must maintain an average of 32 hours a week for health insurance, which is good, but very expensive.

Aside from wages...

If you work in women's clothing, be prepared to work very hard. Expect to be exhausted when you clock out. Women are complete and utter slobs when it comes to shopping and trying on clothing. They will trash the fitting rooms and leave you with mountains of wadded up clothes to sort through and put away. A Z-bar (or Z-rack) is a two tiered, rolling rack that is about 6 feet in length. Expect multiples of these racks full of clothing to put back in the floor daily. But don't forget, you also have to greet each and every customer, meet your sometimes outrageous sales goals, and push credit accounts. You'll need that employee discount just to help cover the shoes you'll have to replace on a regular basis as standing, walking, sometimes running, 4-8 hours a day will wear them out faster than you can believe.

I recently transferred stores. Both have been perpetually understaffed at all times. Expect to work your entire department BY YOURSELF within the first week of your employment. Don't count on getting any breaks, other than your 30 or 60 minute lunch, unless there are other people working in your area. You could go up to 5 hours without a break. This happens regularly.

Despite my complaints, it IS a decent place to work. Management, in my experience, has been supportive, and the customers are generally pretty good. My biggest issue is that sales associates are not compensated properly for the work we do.

Pay your employees a liveable wage. This means a minimum of $10.50/hr. Advocate for the company to pay a liveable wage. Stop understaffing the stores. There will ALWAYS be call-outs plan for it.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!