Good people but the process ruins the ability to create good software

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Lorain, OH
Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Lorain, OH

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The people are good to work with and the employee discount's not bad

Cons

The development process is wasteful and over complicated.

Agile is better.

Other Reviews for Macy's

Macy's North region of Macy's East - A Challenging Environment to Work In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

I actually work for the North region of Macy's East, located in Minneapolis, MN. I would say the best reason to work for this region of Macy's East is the people. They are genuine and supportive. I also feel that, after all we've been through, we still try to stick together as a team. Plus, the leadership at the Minneapolis office is strong. The directors and VPs are strategic, smart and take initiative.

Another perk about working for Macy's is the employee discount. You receive 20% off all merchandise. Plus, sometimes the discount can be combined with other offers, for really great savings!

Cons

It's hard working for a company whose corporate headquarters are in NYC. It's also tough when we used to run our own region (Macy's North). We used to have so much autonomy, but now everything needs to be approved by our New York office. It was tough seeing around 800 employees laid off. The morale in the office right now isn't that great because we lost so many talented employees during the lay-offs. Also, it appears that our leadership in NYC is trying to get rid of the rest of us that are still here. They don't seem to have a retention plan in place.

I think mangement needs to provide more open communication and dialoguge. Sometimes they give responses that are too HR-driven, when all the employees really want is true answers.

Macy's a volitile, uncertain place in a shrinking market....run- don't walk from this struggling retail giant.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

If you are flexible and relocatable it is fine, but consolidations will continue as the dept. store giant tries to cut expense in an industry that is losing market share. In the Northwest division the best thing about Macy's was the work life balance they offered and the community outreach programs they were involved with in the community.

Cons

In the Northwest division which is now consolidated and doesn't exist as of May 2nd 2008, there was a huge disconnect between what merchants were compensated vs. the rest of the company. Also, the HR dept was a complete disaster, employees had no real place to turn when they felt they were treated unfairly.

To Terrry Lundgren, take a hard look at the salary and benefits you are giving to your executive team and realize that you could save people's jobs who do the real work if you cut some of these people's bonuses alone.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!