There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Good people but the process ruins the ability to create good software

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Lorain, OH
Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Lorain, OH

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The people are good to work with and the employee discount's not bad

Cons

The development process is wasteful and over complicated.

Agile is better.

4682 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Macy's North region of Macy's East - A Challenging Environment to Work In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

I actually work for the North region of Macy's East, located in Minneapolis, MN. I would say the best reason to work for this region of Macy's East is the people. They are genuine and supportive. I also feel that, after all we've been through, we still try to stick together as a team. Plus, the leadership at the Minneapolis office is strong. The directors and VPs are strategic, smart and take initiative.

Another perk about working for Macy's is the employee discount. You receive 20% off all merchandise. Plus, sometimes the discount can be combined with other offers, for really great savings!

Cons

It's hard working for a company whose corporate headquarters are in NYC. It's also tough when we used to run our own region (Macy's North). We used to have so much autonomy, but now everything needs to be approved by our New York office. It was tough seeing around 800 employees laid off. The morale in the office right now isn't that great because we lost so many talented employees during the lay-offs. Also, it appears that our leadership in NYC is trying to get rid of the rest of us that are still here. They don't seem to have a retention plan in place.

I think mangement needs to provide more open communication and dialoguge. Sometimes they give responses that are too HR-driven, when all the employees really want is true answers.

Great place to start a career.

Former Employee - Assistant Planner  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Planner in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The company has a great entry-level training program and is a good place to start a career. Strong college recruiting program provides smooth transition from college to buying offices for new hires. Structured opportunities for advancement for merchants. Nice emphasis on work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate downsizing and challenging retail environment. Would be a great place to work if sales were strong and layoffs were not likely. Unfortunately, costs must be cut when sales goals are not met. The company experienced a difficult integration of May Co and has not rebounded since. In future, buying offices may consolidate and centralize in order to push overhead costs down to remain competitive.

Improve the communications between Senior Management and employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!