Macy's

www.macysinc.com
  www.macysinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Typical retail environment with low pay and managers with mixed levels of competence and professionalism

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's

Pros

They'll take anyone off the street as a seasonal hire, so it's a great place to work if you're having trouble finding a job or need some extra holiday money.

Employees who open a lot of credit applications can get up to a 50% discount on many items in the store in the form of "Macy's money," coupons given in $3-$25 increments to high performing associates.

The company keeps track of metrics such as sales and the percentage of customers who are greeted, but doesn't play the secret shopper game so you're not afraid the customer you're talking to is out to get you.

Cons

Macy's is a case study in misleading advertising. The company prints coupons that get people in the store and then excludes half the inventory from those coupons in the fine print. Thus associates get a lot of flack from disappointed/misled customers.

Macy's pays lip service to customer service and then imposes bureaucratic restrictions on sales people that make providing real service almost impossible.

Company is in financial distress and has no unique sales advantage such distinctive merchandise or good customer service to distinguish itself from rivals.

Since the Macy's name is the only card you have left to play, I think the game is up. Jump to another company as soon as you can.

5289 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

You're on your own

Former Employee - Retail Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Associate

I worked at Macy's

Pros

It's easy to get hired.

Cons

From the moment you are hired you a pretty much on your own. Training is done through a computer program with no associate supervision. And then you are immedately placed on the floor with no additional experience then what you learned in the computer program. You're on your own in figuring out how to deal with customers, product knowledge, and troubleshooting with the POS system. Management does not care what goes on, they are never present in the store. It is completely up to you to ensure your department runs smoothly.

Get involved! After three holiday seasons with Macys at the same store I never ONCE met or even saw the store manager. He hid in his office all day. The department managers are always doing everything it seems but running thier departments. They hammer you to increase sales, increase credit card applications and to keep the area spotless. Then they disappear and it's not uncommon to not see your manager fr an entire shift. God help you if you have a situation, or a customer, or something else that requires managment assistance. When you call them or the executive office they speak to you like you are a waste of your time.

Great for coming in at a management position, horrible for anyone working up the ladder

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Very positive atmosphere as far as team building and motivation goes. Really a great place to cultivate entry-level talent, albeit as they'll need to move to other companies to advance.

Cons

Promoting from within is not a strong suit here; most upper-level positions are given to college graduates who have never had a job, or to transplants from other companies. In fact, once I left, I was offered a higher position with Macy's, but since they offered me less than what I was making in my new position elsewhere, that didn't work out.

Taking a chance on known quantities whom you have cultivated from their start (and more than that, were encouraging and full of praise for an up-and-coming successful manager) with you is less of a gamble than going all in on someone from another company from whom you only have a resume and a 30 minute interview to judge.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's