There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Great holiday job but best to leave after the holidays

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I was mostly a retail virgin, and I was surprised how much better the pay turned out to be compared to other 'mall' stores. It was draw+commission, I made an average of $20 a hour during the holidays. I was in a good area of the store, and regular associates in my area made more since their commission rates are higher than seasonal staff and they are generally better sellers.

I also really like that you pick your own schedule at Macy's. The shifts are usually 7 - 9 hours long, and sometimes a manager would ask people to stay later if it was very busy still. Many retailers schedule people in 3 hour shifts now a days, so I saw this as a big plus.

I liked the incentives in opening credit cards. You receive 3 dollars of Macy's money for each card you open and sometimes there are other treats as well.

Cons

The orientation process took up a week's worth of time ( a week where you couldn't pick up shifts thereby delaying your actualy start date by 2 wks) and a waste of time for temporary staff if you ask me. One time they called me to come in for one hr of orientation. I couldn't go onto the next part of orientation, because each had its 'own day'.

I personally never shopped at a Macy's before working there, because they are so overcrowded with junk. But when the going gets rough... Anyways it was annoying working around broken pieces of displays and trash, because there was nowhere to put stuff.

The people are mostly nice, but there are some strange and seemingly katty characters. Don't expect people to go out of their way to help you.

After the holidays is inventory and they added inventory shifts onto my schedule without asking me. There is no commission obviously with working these shifts which meant minimum wage for me, and you leave the store at 3 am to walk to your car alone which you must park very far away : (

Alot of people return things after the holidays and the commission gets deducted from your pay check so I jumped ship pretty soon after. Can't deduct from a pay check that you are giving.

This was not too bad of an experience. Luckily I don't need to work anymore; not sure I would have wanted to at a Macy's.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Learning Experience, but lack of advancement is not motivating

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

*Diverse employment sector
    *Fast paced environment at lead/manager level
    *Vacation Days are above average amt
    *Large amount of upper executives female/diverse

Cons

*Lack of salary raises
    *Follows the pack, rather than leads the pack
    *Many live in fear of retaliation
    *High cost benefit package
    *Most on fast-track are part of college graduate development program

Revamp your executive development program to include current employees.
    Evaluate why only management carries benefits w/organization

2. Entry-Level Sales Associates make minimum wage, often on your own as managers are rarely are around to help

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

It's a big company and has a nice company image and history. People are nice, stable job. Computer training program first few hours of work.

Cons

The managers were rarely around to help us sales associates deal with problems. We often had to solve them ourselves. Aside from the short computer training program, you don't really get formally trained, you are left to figure things out yourself. The stockrooms were unorganized and items were difficult to find, often weren't in stock. Often frustrating job since management was so unorganized. Often missed breaks because we were understaffed and overworked during rush times. But when it was slow, it was SLOW.

Keep the stockrooms more organized! Hire more managers to help on the floor! Please!

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's