Macys is all about the profit and the employees are generally just numbers.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Macy's

Pros

20% discount for employees if you can find clothes that fit the dress code in the store. Can generally get your schedules 2 weeks out.

Cons

No set rotation of schedules and hours get cut based on sales quite often. Housekeeping is terrible and our clean stores have become nasty (restrooms, break rooms, fitting rooms). Very little management support as the teams have been reduced every year for the last 4 years. They are hiring more part time associates so they don't have to pay benefits. Lots of restrictions on when you can use Paid Time Off and your request are often denied. Too much focus on getting customers to open Macys Charge Cards and not enough recognition for meeting sales goals. Yearly raises are usually less than 2%. Not much incentive to succeed. Promotions from within are few and far between.

value your associates and give them an adequate paycheck to survive. Raises should reward those who have obtained their sales goals. Raise the housekeeping standards so employees could use the restrooms in their own store and not have to go out to the mall. Store leadership needs to be visible and actively helping associates be successful.

Other Reviews for Macy's

Ok at first, but then took a down hill

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Christmas paycheck, some paid vacation time off, and a little bit of benefits. besides that. there are really no other reasons to work there.

Cons

draw vs. commission, macy's money instead of cash, bad managers, no regular work schedule, to many selling people on the floor.

Treat all employees fairly, and do not make certain employees do more work than others. Especially if they are getting paid less than the employees that are working less.

good!!! lakeline mall.Tx

Current Employee - Retail Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

flexible schedule.!!! Macy's, a perfect place to work. Fun work environment.. i Have an excellent! Manager she is very nice person.,
    I like fashion and working one on one with any type of customer. I'm a sales assiociate so my duties are: putting back clothes, finding clothes, assisting customers with either my opinion, or knowledge. i'm aslo expected to open credits. the only problem would be the occasional rude customer, but i personally like working with them because it's fun (for me) to be really nice to a person who is being really rude and in the end have that person cool down.

Cons

Poor benefits (no vision, high co-pays)
    * Very limited choice of 401(k) investment choices

I do my best everyday asking (customers) if they want to open a macy's card...BUT Remember you can NOT force a customer to open one..we have to insist but it is not right..all the time customers compleints that is to HIGH the rate... so Please STOP that Macy's require you to sell at least 2 credit card applications to customer's a week or you'll get fired...why?.....Remember you can NOT force a customer to open one.
    Thank you! and PLEASE help us..

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!