There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

It was a fun job and I liked my clients

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I liked my clients and was excited about the idea of what I was doing, which was selling cosmetics. I enjoyed a majority of my co workers and thught the product that I was selling was excellent in quality and that the cosmetics company was a good company to represent.

Cons

Macy's itself does not seem to know what is going on when a company is working within its walls. There was a lack of communication and limited training. I wanted to have more professional training, but I did the best with what I had to work with. I did not like that I had to push the credit card part. Regardless of how much I was selling, if I did not get people to sign up for credit, I was failing. Finally, I was hired for a day short position and was told to put down my availability. After I was hired, I found out that the schedule was computer generated and there was any flexibility. It took awhile to get used to standing for so long, but once I did, it was not so bad. I did not appreciate some of the co-workers being so competitive regarding the 3% commission-I mean really, it was not worth the unprofessionalism that they displayed and I wish this kind of behavior was discouraged.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you teach the young girls to be more respectful and professional with their coworkers and with some of the clients. Competing over 3% commission is just not attractive!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My supervisor and my colleagues were very knowledgeble of the products and were able to help me succeed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Constant change of decor. Ability to interact with clients specialy the many tourists. Ability to see personalities visit the store. Good products

Cons

On a very slow day it is boring.

Advice to Management

Mangement is doing a great job

2. It is a competitive job that really requires a certain type of personality to enjoy it to the fullest.

Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

My co workers and management at this location are a very good team of employees. Once you get familiar with theenvirnment and products, it is real easy to make connections with the customers and meet the commission and other sales goals.

Cons

They push the sales of the Macy's credit cards relentlessly! If you have a bad manager you will probably not like the job much at all.

Advice to Management

Make the in department training a little more thorough instead of just the MAGIC training. Especially in the shoe departments it would be nice if there were a position or two for a dedicated stockroom employee. I would love to be employed as a womens shoe stock room person and be able to constantly maintain, restock, and ticket everything to make work flow easier for everyone. As it is it can be very hard to keep track of everything and rearrange as needed when you are mainly needed on the sales floor. We have also had some stocking mix ups because of the overly rushed environment in the stock room.