Madewell

www.madewell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Madewell

Tempting perks (discount) with frustrating work experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really great discount that is valid at Madewell AND J.Crew stores
Friendly work environment
Madewell stores are clean and fresh-looking, and play good music (not too loud to drive you crazy on a long shift)-- fun, youthful vibe

Cons

On-call shifts (won't know if you need to come into work until 2hrs before the shift starts
3 days notice on next week's schedule
low hourly wage
VERY few hours (even as a top associate at the store)

NO On-call shifts. Use data to know when you need the most associates, and stick to that.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Madewell (View Most Recent)

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Discount
    Amazing Coworkers
    Ok hourly rate for retail
    Lots of free time outside of work
    Nice clientele
    Like the sense of "befriending" customers

Cons

Hours are terrible with no sign of improving. You have to go into the store to get your paper schedule that tells you whether you have a four hour shift or a four hour on-call that probably won't be used. I was promised a certain amount of hours a week when I was hired, like many of my coworkers, and I don't believe anyone would have agreed to work 4 hours a week.

Also, schedules are only available 3 days before the next week.

There has yet to be any kind of store meeting. With a new store it would be nice to know exactly what is going on especially when hours go from about 30 hours the first week to 4 the next.

We don't work on commission, but are encouraged to get high sales goals in order to get hours. Great plan except its hard to show how great of a salesperson you are when working 4 hours in the accessories room.

Also two hour closes in which everything needs to be perfect.

Overall pay and hours are too low for what they are asking. And morale is very low due to the lack of communication from management.

Open and honest communication is key to keeping morale up.

Be honest and upfront when it comes to schedules. Most of us are working to pay rent, not for fun, and can't live in Chicago with so little hours.

Don't over-hire. Perhaps a few people with 15+ hours will suffice than 30 or 40 employees with 4 hours.

Perhaps management training would have been helpful.

Passive Aggressive Management

Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great clothes and discounts both at Madewell and J.Crew.
    Great overall brand vibe
    Part-time employee benefits

Cons

Passive aggressive management
    Lecturing/passive aggressive management of employees in front of customers
    Low pay when compared to its competitive stores
    On-call hours are ridiculous

Passive aggressive management style is not the best when it comes to getting your employees to stay and work. Lecturing employees in front of customers is the worst and it does not bring forth a constructive working environment. I sensed a high level of insincerity from a certain manager when I was there. S/he remembers everything down to the nitty gritty about every thing. Won't cut a break for anyone. Kinda showing everyone who's boss.

However, there were some great managers that I think were very open and receptive of getting to know the employees. Also, seriously rethink those silly monthly meetings (I mean, seriously fit sessions? I think I've got it down. Plus the meetings are always about how to generate sales, but nothing ever to cultivate a meaningful relationship with other staff members that would really benefit the team working environment!)

There are newer employer reviews for Madewell