Madison Street Capital

Engaged Employer

Great Name..Not Real Deal Makers Though

Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

The Availability of Management Some periodic cash Bonuses and spiffs, Some really talented Mid-Management that keeps the business strong Great Training at every level

Cons

Feasibility of Business model Company has a very, very low deal closing rate Customer consideration Base and commision percentage is low

Advice to Management

Deal closing percentage should be a selling point not a secret. Try to become a true Invesment Bank. Remember that being customer driven is more than just lip service.

Other Employee Reviews for Madison Street Capital

Formerly Houlihan Smith. Now it's Madison Street Capital

I have been working at Madison Street Capital full-time

Pros

"Entrepreneurial" and significant autonomy at the low- to mid-level since senior management does not take a strong role in deals; some voluntary access to investment banking training IF you are in the right group.

Cons

Senior management has ZERO M&A/financing experience from reputable investment banks so you learn nothing from those above you. Any worthwhile skills you acquire come from some outsourced investment banking training programs for which the firm will reimburse you, and from taking a senior role in deals that were forced through the business development group. Top management (purely sales backgrounds) is "ethically challenged" in a BIG way. A very select few at the very top make good money but at the expense of everyone below them and at the expense of clients' welfare. Bonus potential is not anywhere near where they say it is, and the base salary is very very low, if present at all. The culture is "toxic" due to these factors and more. They have/had some talented mid-level employees but even those have been/are leaving the past couple years.

Advice to Management

Handle your clients ethically and pay your employees fairly instead of hiding the bad reviews/complaints/lawsuits. You have a unique business model that could be effective, but instead you go for the quick buck and the low-hanging fruit.

2. One Year Later

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Madison Street Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Madison Street Capital for over a year. I started off as an intern during my winter break and was offered a job upon graduation the following May. I started almost immediately after graduation. It took me a little bit to get my bearings but once I did opportunities began presenting themselves to me. Within my first 6 months I was one of the top members within the Deal Origination Group, was working directly with a Regional Director out in the field, and had the opportunity to lead fellow team members. Here are some of the pros: - There are contests nearly twice a month. - If you work hard and produce, management is very good at giving additional responsibilities. - If you have questions/concerns/need help, management as well as other team members do try their best to give advice or coach when need be but nobody is here to hold your hand. I've seen this firm grow just in the one year plus I've been here. If you want a fast-paced and competitive environment that allows you to move up as quickly as you want to, this is the place to be.

Cons

There are very few downsides to working here. The only thing I would note are the long hours, but that should be expected in this industry. By comparison hours are much more reasonable than at other firms.

Advice to Management

Management, for the most part, is transparent with all members of the firm. In terms of approachability there is pretty much an open door policy in terms of any questions/concerns you might have.