Magnusson Klemencic Associates

There are newer employer reviews for Magnusson Klemencic Associates

Great summer internship

Former Employee - Summer Intern
Former Employee - Summer Intern

I worked at Magnusson Klemencic Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and great supervisor, got to visit construction sites, worked typical business hours, teamwork environment, learned a lot about daily duties of actual engineers, decent salary

Cons

Lots of office paperwork, did some work unrelated to civil engineering, which was frustrating at times, only internships they have are offered to graduate students and not undergraduates and co-ops are not possible

4 Other Employee Reviews for Magnusson Klemencic Associates (View Most Recent)

Great Projects Mask Everything Else

Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Magnusson Klemencic Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest pro at MKA are the amazing projects we get to work on. MKA works almost exclusively on premiere and high-profile buildings and regardless of what role you end up playing in it you will always be able to look up at an iconic building in the skyline and say "yeah, I helped make that happen!"

Another benefit are the relatively flexible hours. You can get to work late or you can leave early (probably not both, but MKA keeps you busy enough where chances are that isn't happening anyway) but you are compensated according to how much work you put in and nobody really complains as long as you get your work done.

Another perk is you can use your overtime hours as vacation hours if you choose not to receive monetary compensation. However, that leads us to the...

Cons

MKA has a culture of working hard to the point of overwork. The good news is everyone stays late, but even so, nobody really enjoys working 50+ hour work weeks on a regular basis.

More importantly, MKA's culture leaves you feeling like a tiny cog in a huge machine. I know I personally don't feel invaluable to the operation, and sometimes that leaves me feeling like my personal growth can be stunted a bit.

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Magnusson Klemencic Associates full-time

Pros

Competitive compensation: low salaries but high year-end bonuses and profit sharing. Work day schedule is flexible, so long as you are in the office during core hours. People in the office are interesting, easy to talk to, and are physically active (running at lunch time, etc.). The work is cutting edge and the firm is in the top tier of engineering companies. Because MKA has more than 90% of its employees in its Seattle office, it is easy to walk around and ask in-house experts questions. In fact, this is highly encouraged. Leadership is relatively transparent and are generally kind and understanding.

Cons

Although work schedules are somewhat flexible, telecommuting is strictly forbidden. The workspace is cramped because the office has grown by 40% in two years. No lunchroom, which can be a drag during the winter when eating outside isn't an option. Work culture encourages people to eat at their desks. Not many women in leadership and management roles.

Address the attrition of women in leadership. Lease additional office space in Seattle.

There are newer employer reviews for Magnusson Klemencic Associates