Mahalo.com

Extremely negative work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Mahalo.com

Pros

-Great coworkers (you will make some life-long friendships here)
-Laid-back work environment (t-shirts, jeans, sneakers, hats--anything goes)
-Great benefits (out-of-pocket is between 0-15% of overall cost, depending on your coverage)
-Plenty of parking
-Washer and dryer on-site

Cons

-A demeaning and unprofessional leader of the company
-A lot of hours for little pay
-Location (an industrial-like area)

You will be micromanaged to the point that you wonder why you're even here (do NOT underestimate this). It is normal for employees to be humiliated, belittled, and cussed at by your boss with the entire office watching. Spare yourself the constant negativity and look elsewhere.

None. In such a negative environment, how can you inspire and motivate those who work for you? Failure is the only option at this point. After five years of trying to find something that works, it's obvious that the company is going nowhere.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Mahalo.com (View Most Recent)

Not an Easy Job, But Rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mahalo.com

Pros

- A great team
    - Opportunity to learn a lot about the Web and technology startups
    - Lots of room for growth and advancement
    - Fast-paced work environment with lots of new challenges every day; it's never boring

I learned more in my first month at Mahalo than I have in years at other jobs. It was the first company at which I was given the opportunity to step up and take on more responsibility, for which I am extraordinarily grateful. As well, I made many friendships at Mahalo with amazing, talented colleagues that have continued to this day.

Cons

- General lack of focus, which can make the work frustrating
    - Difficulty setting/communicating priorities from senior management to employees, freelancers
    - Rigorous and demanding schedule

Mahalo can be a difficult place to work. The hours are demanding, the expectations are high (some might say unreasonable), the pressure is intense. Perhaps most challenging of all is the frequent shifting of priorities, goals and responsibilities, which can give work there a "1 step forward, 2 steps back" feeling. Overall, I had a worthwhile experience there, but it is not for everyone.

Mahalo could benefit from leadership listening to employees - not just hearing them out, but taking opinions seriously - and being more open to fresh ideas and perspectives. Often it feels as if the agenda is being set

Mahalo, the idea was good once upon a time.

Former Employee - Full Time Guide in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Guide in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mahalo.com

Pros

It's an internet startup with a lot of potential for growth. The free lunches were very nice.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Treated very poorly. While they claim to listen to everyone, only maybe two or three people are listened to. There was once upon a time a "no meetings" policy that has been completely thrown out in favor of very private meetings on a daily basis. It's very obvious that they're trying to work many people to quit. Taking advantage of everyone's time and dedication.

Get back to your roots. Be sincere. Don't be hypocritical around the clock. Fire your editorial and video, or rather Marketing and Advertising, leads.

There are newer employer reviews for Mahalo.com