CEO & management are paranoid and incapable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very cool product. A lot of very smart and effective employees.

Cons

Really bad management. They simply do not communicate their intent. If and when employees finally hear what's going on, it's usually only to discover a fresh batch of poor decisions.

The "wow" factor of the product is the only thing keeping people here, and hence the only thing keeping the company alive. A lot of other companies are appearing in this space though. MakerBot's advantage will disappear quickly.

Value the smart people you've hired.

And help the CEO to understand how bad at his job he is -- there's always a chance he can learn.

Other Reviews for Makerbot

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!