Makerbot

www.makerbot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leading edge technology - in a developing marketplace. Opportunities everywhere.

Cons

Crazy startup, lots going on, growing like mad.

Stay the course - hang on and great things are coming your way

59 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

toxic workplace.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people doing the work.
    3D printing is the future.

Cons

I've been here less than a year, but here goes:

We just launched a new product yet morale is at an all-time low - and the top brass doesn't even know that's the reality, or refuses to confront it.

Very little respect for their own community and their own employees. Complete sense of entitlement from the top brass in every interaction between company and people.

CEO is like others have said way way in over his head. He's paranoid about everyone, that they're out to get him, and completely impulsive about every single aspect of the company and the products. He won't acknowledge his shortcomings, instead he prefers to pretend to know what he's doing.

He hired his father to run the marketing team. It's very weird.

CEO has over inflated ego that is constantly fed by everyone at the company all the time. He's bought into his own BS and acts like he's Steve Jobs. He's definitely not.

Work environment is completely paranoid - people are let go constantly with little regard. Blame is always on the employees without any sincere explanations, and often leads to impulsive firings.

Management never looks inwards for -their dissatisfaction - of employee's work, expectations, and reporting structure.

Expectation that you should be extremely grateful for even having a job at all- especially at this company. That only goes so far.

No longer a startup - gone corporate, but without the trappings, only the pitfalls.

what's there to say? This can't work long term, but maybe you don't care about the long term.

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot