Makerbot
www.makerbot.com Brooklyn, NY 150 to 499 Employees

A lot of potential, ruined by short-sighted management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Makerbot full-time

ProsBack in the day, the pro was that you were working in a brand new, disruptive industry with a team of people who really cared about and believed in the product.

ConsBad management ruined all of that. The CEO wants to be Steve Jobs, but he's really bad at managing a company. When things started to go south he fired the entire marketing team, and hired his dad to take over that department. The head of the fired team has gone on to win all the same awards, this time for MakerBot's competitors, while marketing quality from MakerBot itself has gone downhill.

The other reviewers (except the two astroturfers) have covered this. What the other reviewers haven't covered is that the COO is also causing a lot of damage, repeatedly hiring people for jobs like "receptionist" and a couple weeks later promoting them to things like "office manager". She also filled most of the department leadership with her friends.

The brain drain that followed has cleared out the remaining talent in the company. The pay was sub-standard when I was there, and may be getting better now, but this is not a place you want to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. They are the *ONLY* reason you've gotten to where you are.

Should never have accepted this job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Makerbot

Pros: The 3-D printing industry is fascinating and is booming. The work itself is great...very… Cons: The company culture is very divisive. The company is split in terms of what department you happen to work in (like night and day).… Advice to Senior Management: As has been stated a few times already, place more value on… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

See potential and help push you forward

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros: If they see you are a hard worker, willing to… Cons: With quick growth comes change and change isn't always easy… Advice to Senior Management: Stick with it and keep growing and trying new things. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Makerbot.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Makerbot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Makerbot CEO Bre Pettis. All reviews posted anonymously by Makerbot employees.