Makerbot

www.makerbot.com

A lot of potential, ruined by short-sighted management

(Former Employee)

ProsBack in the day, the pro was that you were working in a brand new, disruptive industry with a team of people who really cared about and believed in the product.

ConsBad management ruined all of that. The CEO wants to be Steve Jobs, but he's really bad at managing a company. When things started to go south he fired the entire marketing team, and hired his dad to take over that department. The head of the fired team has gone on to win all the same awards, this time for MakerBot's competitors, while marketing quality from MakerBot itself has gone downhill.

The other reviewers (except the two astroturfers) have covered this. What the other reviewers haven't covered is that the COO is also causing a lot of damage, repeatedly hiring people for jobs like "receptionist" and a couple weeks later promoting them to things like "office manager". She also filled most of the department leadership with her friends.

The brain drain that followed has cleared out the remaining talent in the company. The pay was sub-standard when I was there, and may be getting better now, but this is not a place you want to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. They are the *ONLY* reason you've gotten to where you are.

See potential and help push you forward

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros: If they see you are a hard worker, willing to… Cons: With quick growth comes change and change isn't always easy… Advice to Senior Management: Stick with it and keep growing and trying new things. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

OK, but getting worse

Maker (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros: Talented people at the lower levels. A great product when management doesn't mess it up. Good attempts to promote people internally. People love… Cons: Management demands 110% dedication for 60% pay. Chinzy benefits with almost no stock options, Cheap healthcare, no 401(k) and very little time off. … Advice to Senior Management: Hire a real CEO. Focus on internal management rather than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Makerbot.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!