Makerbot

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Productor Position

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY
Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get the chance to work with tons of smart people.

The market (3D printing) is a fast growing field and it looks good on your resume.

Cons

-Tons of smart people held back by upper management. Offered promotions within the company to only be moved to positions with a higher title / more work / same pay.

- Mandatory overtime for months straight. 6 days a week.

- Removal of benefits common in most other NYC based startups.

-Treated like cheap replaceable labor.

There are many smart and talented people in production. Treat these people like they are wanted there and not like cheap labor. Many of the people who start in production have high hopes for the company only to have them torn down right in front of them. Almost everyone I started with has left and they all went on to do amazing things.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

Biggest mistake of my life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-3D printing industry is great
    -Products are decent and the buzz about the company is great
    -Looks good on the resume, you will get contacted by recruiters for other jobs quickly
    -American product

Cons

-Low salary, lack of bonuses, and lack of any real perks are destroying workplace morale. Nearly everyone, in every department, openly talks about being broke and living in near-poverty. I have been employed at MakerBot for about one year and have not had one bonus or raise...despite being told how great of a job I am doing.

-Very high turnover for a potentially great company. This is always blamed on "being a startup," but it's just because of low wages.

-Getting asked to work on weekends gets aggravating (this seems to happen in many different departments)

-Attitude from "Upper Management" and CEO can get very hostile and outright shameful. Employees are treated with very little respect.

-Potentially nasty future. Upper management's does not value the company's customers.. customer service and business ethics are slipping rapidly.

-If you are one of the VCs that own MakerBot-- please find us a new CEO and CSO.

-Give everyone at the company a 50% pay increase and watch the employees start to care about their jobs. You wont have to beg employees to work on weekends if we made a good-living.

Frauds

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros

Some of the most interesting and exciting people have worked here. They never stay for long, but they manage to recruit amazing people.

Cons

What you read here is pretty much the truth. We are very badly underpaid, but more importantly, the company cannot decide between caring about the community (seemingly at a cost to profitability) and caring about the bottom line and making a few people very rich. I suppose it will settle on the latter but I've never worked anywhere before where I felt bad for our customers.

My advice would be to the board and the investors: find someone who isn't just a pretty face that we can respect and who has credibility with the community that we've completely lost touch with. Or failing that, find someone who can actually be as mercenary as management aspires to be. Then we could get paid a living wage.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot