Makerbot

www.makerbot.com

The Walmart of 3D printing

Pros

This used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

Cons

The lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

You're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

Other reviews for Makerbot

Amazing potential...going down the drain.

Pros

The work environment is great -- when you'd not being blindsided by incompetent, reactive calls from the top.

First off, the company basically created the market for 3d printers aimed at consumers. They were the first to offer a 3d printer priced within reach of average people; now there's a thriving market segment which does just that. Starting a whole new market (ok, segment of a market) sets some really high expectations, and is quite exciting.

Second, MakerBot's staff were (and the ones that remain still are) without exception the best team I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The average worker there is exceptional -- if not totally brilliant, then tenacious, driven, and quality-minded. This applies to both the original team and the more experienced crew who succeeded them after the first round of people were pushed out.

Getting things done there was also a pleasure -- most processes are lean, and there's not too much bureaucracy, at least compared to a large company. People were amazingly positive for the most part. At times, this was certainly the best job of my career. People liked to have fun when they weren't working hard...and often when they were.

Cons

The downsides, unfortunately, have come to outweigh the positives. Top management, especially the CEO, are in a desperate, reactive mode that threatens to destroy the company.

The worst thing is their attitude towards employees. A lot of MakerBot's previous job postings would append "-bot" to the end of the job title to be cutesy. Unfortunately, this seems to belie their understanding of employees -- it's as if they think that people should actually be treated as robots. That is: paid very little, replaced without much thought, and never listened to. It's as if they really don't understand that a company _is_ its employees -- especially a company with a team as amazing as the one at MakerBot.

MakerBot has had a very high turnover, which is absolutely unnecessary considering how great much of the experience is. Someone else here has used the term "toxic" to describe the work environment -- that is, unfortunately, the exact word for it.

Value your employees and community. Rein in the Founder/CEO before he destroys everything; he's in way over his head.

Great Place to Work

Pros

Leading edge technology - in a developing marketplace. Opportunities everywhere.

Cons

Crazy startup, lots going on, growing like mad.

Stay the course - hang on and great things are coming your way

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!