There are newer employer reviews for Malone & Bailey

Stressful, but empowering even at the staff level

I have been working at Malone & Bailey full-time

Pros

Constant learning, great training program, overtime pay, generous PTO. Working at a smaller firm allows you to become a more integral part of the engagements, and you often see the audit/review all the way through from beginning to end. Even at the staff level, I gained a lot of exposure to complicated debt and equity transactions, maintained relations with my clients (sometimes the CEO and CFO of a company), and was often the sole preparer before it went to senior/manager/partner review. When compared with my peers at larger firms/big 4, I can definitely see that I'm given much more responsibility here. Everyone at the office is pretty friendly with one another; the partners will even roam the halls and drop by our offices to chat...which brings me to another point -- we all have offices, not cubicles, and do most of our work in-office rather than at the client site. This greatly improves efficiency and productivity, as we are all equipped with a 4-monitor system that allows us to work much quicker.

Cons

Hardly any work-life balance (even after busy season), very stressful, understaffed. I regularly switch back and forth between 5-8 clients, up to 15 during busy season. As you can imagine, this can become very hectic and often stressful when the engagements are in different stages of the process and when clients are demanding. Of course, it greatly improved my flexibility, organization, and recall factor, but having to do this for 52 weeks out of the year can be very tasking.

Advice to Management

Beef up staffing; consider increasing salary to be more comparable with amount of work we produce

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A satisfying experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

Partner group was friendly and helpful. HR function was supportive of all employees and was alway there to help out.

Cons

Hours got a little long during busy season. Pay was decent but could have been better in comparison to other opportunities.

Like being an accountant wasn't bad enough

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Houston, TX

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

A few decent down to earth people. Something you can put on a resume and will make your next job seem like heaven.

Cons

Management lacks any kind of humility or personality. stuffy atmophere and they're the reason for all the accountant jokes out there.

Advice to Management

Start trying to act like real human beings. you know, with emotions? Stop punishing employees that don"t want anything to do with you outside the office. Just because you may make an above average salary doesn't mean that you're still not a loser.