Great intentions, unclear direction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with extremely gifted individuals and there are few restrictions on the things departmentally I get to learn. That's about it.

Cons

Limited growth, overambitious leadership team that ignores the urgency of compliance, looks to phase out "cumbersome" processes, while trying to enforce abstract ideals. Little room for growth and advancement. Too great a focus on technical experts, ignoring the core groups such as Accounting and Finance.

Please note that your core staff, such as Accounting, Contracts, Procurement and Benefits *need* to be reinforced. Consider creating a compliance and training department instead of abstract goals such as becoming a "learning organization." Fix the wheel before driving. Please stop coupling an inordinate number of initiatives atop already overwhelming daily responsibilities. Understand all sides, and that the organization could run much more smoothly if we grounded ourselves instead of trying to be overly abstract. EG. PPRD: useless to a person whose base work culture does not permit "outstanding" action. Stop discussing accountability when we have no "ownership" of any piece of our processes. Reward all equally. Consider returning to Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement. Avoid discussing the topic of religion at work. Start enforcing workplace equality---those at the top should respect those at the bottom. Try and understand a process before attempting to fix it.

Other Reviews for Management Sciences for Health

Very pleasant work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse, interesting people to work with
    Many travel opportunities
    Great health, benefits, and lots of vacation time

Cons

Big company means sometimes change or improvement is slow
    Not many training opportunities but they are working to improve that

Mid-level and junior staff not given a chance to do technical work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MSH's DC office is in a good location, ability to work with field staff has been a good experience, I've learned a lot from senior staff (but haven't been allowed to practice it).

Cons

Many of the administrative/program coordinator level staff wind up leaving after 1 year since there is no movement up unless you have a masters, ditto for Progam Officers/Associates. Often much of the "technical" work is only done by the older staff who have been at MSH for 10-15 years. There isn't a desire across the centers/projects to train junior staff, and this causes many of us to want to leave.

There are newer employer reviews for Management Sciences for Health.

Worked for Management Sciences for Health? Contribute to the Community!