Manchester Metropolitan University

www.mmu.ac.uk
  www.mmu.ac.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Manchester Metropolitan University

Great experience

Former Employee - Lector in Manchester, England (UK)
Former Employee - Lector in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University

Pros

My experience was great overall. Great people and students are eager to learn fast. Relaxed atmosphere. Overall just great.

Cons

Lack of feedback on your work. HR are not easy to reach or contact. Managers are not very comprehensive sometimes.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Manchester Metropolitan University (View Most Recent)

Generally cushy number, but sucks your will to live. Don't bother reaching for the stars, no reward for it.

Former Employee - Support Staff in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University

Pros

All the sick leave and lateness you can eat. Lots of holidays, flexible working hours. Easy location to reach in the city centre, good pension scheme.

Cons

Management are very autocratic, not interested in the ideas staff have. Too unionised, everything is a big deal. A slow moving behemoth run by a poor leader and his hand picked coterie of management staff. Too many changes started in one go. Finish one thing before you move on to another! Vice Chancellor's attitude is too bombastic with staff.

Have respect for your workers, they are your #1 asset, believe it or not. Management treat them as a necessary evil. Don't kowtow to the unions so much, break the shackles. Be creative with incentive schemes, don't be afraid to reward success and react to underachievement.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Academic Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Academic Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Manchester Metropolitan University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

steady rate of pay (increases by £1,000 every year until you reach the maximum for your particular grade / salary band)
    positive working environment
    excellent awareness and support for those with a disability
    very flexible working hours

Cons

You get paid on the last working day of the month which can be particularly problematic during Christmas and New Year

would love even more opportunity to train and further my knowledge. We have the chance to discuss this in our annual PDRs but I wonder whether a quarterly optional sit down might be useful where employees can pitch courses they would to go on that might benefit their work

There are newer employer reviews for Manchester Metropolitan University