No room for growth

Pros

Laid back compared to other agencies--for the most part, won't be overworked. Intelligent coworkers and great people. Open layout, so no cubicles.

Cons

No room for growth/no clear career paths. Lack of structure and communication meant job levels and titles weren't clearly defined. Reviews were minimal and pay was not competitive. Rarely saw anyone get promoted within... more often than not, people got hired above. High turnover rate, so there's a lack of culture.

Advice to Management

Please get your act together. A near-inverted triangle is not how a team should be built (at one point, we had three managers for four mid-level employees). Streamline reviews for both careers and at the end of projects, and learn to be more transparent--don't just talk about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Manifest Digital

Typical agency

Pros

Relaxed, casual work environment. Some fun projects, and a good deal of variety. Compensation was fair.

Cons

Cons for me are, I believe, common to most agencies - sales teams overpromising, late nights as deadlines loomed (but, in their defense, the late nights were more exception than rule), and overemphasis on creative over other aspects of the business.

A Changing Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came into Manifest to manage a strategic project. A year ago, I would have never worked for this organization, but the leadership convinced me that they are interested in changing the work environment for the better. As I convert to a full-time role, that change will be one of my responsibilities. I have no doubts that this change is desired from the very top. I also have no doubts that it will happen. This change requires active participation.

Cons

There is a lot of uncertainty during change. Manifest is in an acquisition phase, and the design business is rapidly changing. As with many organizations, this can make people anxious. I tend to thrive when the possibilities broaden and responsibilities become less formal. Change brings opportunity.

Advice to Management

I see the negative reviews and feel some anxiousness. I would suggest communicating change from the bottom up. I would suggest letting people help create the environment that they desire. It would also be helpful to make the decisions necessary to promote these changes in a more timely manner. The first rule of change management is to communicate.