I started as an in-house temp...

Former Employee - Staffing Specialist  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Staffing Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Manpower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to meet a lot of new and different people. Manpower offered some of the best training. Their benefits package was decent. Management listened to those working in the field.

Cons

Staffing Specialists had to wear a lot of hats and learn a lot of legal issues surrounding employment and hiring. In this position I did everything from interview, hire, on-board, counsel, and fire employees. I also had to handle FMLA, workers' compensation claims, and respond to unemployment cases, including handling unemployment hearings. This was on top of all of my recruiting and placement duties. There were many times when an eight hour day was not long enough.
The pay that they offered was never very good, the company stated that I always could make more from commissions by converting temporary employees to hires with the client. That would be fine if the market I worked in was used to paying conversion fees but competition kept that from happening. My position was considered hourly and overtime was rarely approved, leaving days when important tasks had to wait until the next day.
There are few places to advance in a branch office. They only way to see true advancement would require moving to Wisconsin.
Management wanted us to contract with large companies for high-volume hiring with very low pricing. This essentially forced our office to put "all our eggs in one basket." When I started there were five Staffing Specialists in the office. After two years of working there our large client closed their facility moving it to Mexico and our office all but closed. By the time I left I was one of two Staffing Specialists that remained.
Temporary staffing is a tough business, the jobs to recruit for are never very good ones and always at the bottom of the ladder. some of the people that those jobs attract are not always very nice, no matter how hard you try.

Find ways to reward Staffing Specialists other than commission based conversions.
Do not require so many responsibilities of the Staffing Specialist with regards to HR tasks.
Encourage diversity in clients, do not open an office when there is only one large client in the area.
Learn geographic differences of an area before deciding on a location for an office.

Other Reviews for Manpower

Need work

Current Employee - Temporary Worker  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Manpower full-time for less than a year

Pros

My local manpower office supervisors were courteous and friendly whenever I made a personal visit to them. They cooperated with my requests and acted professionally.

Cons

The office is understaffed. During my time with them it was nearly impossible to speak to someone directly on the phone no matter the time of day I called. Frequently, my voice mails were not returned right away. As if this isn't bad enough, they only made one visit to the client I was assigned to during my employment. It was my impression that temporary agencies have the same responsibilities for employee safety and welfare issues as any other employer. It seems difficult to believe that only making one on site visit in an 8 month period that they could be monitoring any concerns of their employees with any degree of effectiveness.

Increase the staff in Lafayette, IN.

It has been good - Some frustrations

I have been working at Manpower full-time

Pros

People in general are friendly and really want to help you.

Cons

Change is constant, just seems to be trying to scramble to find the right mix to be the best. IT is woefully inadequate and outdated.

Better IT and money and focus in that area.

There are newer employer reviews for Manpower.

Worked for Manpower? Contribute to the Community!